clanking noise

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by bigbird0373, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bigbird0373

bigbird0373 New Member

Ok so I had a clanking noise coming from the left side of my 80cc motor. Pulled off the head found the bottom gasket was messed up. Checked all the bearings which seem to be fine. Left side of piston was dark brown. Gonna replace the gasket but my question is could that have been the source of the clanking noise?

2. bigbird0373

bigbird0373 New Member

Ok, update on the clanking noise......I could really use some imput please! 2 small chunks of metal fell out the motor, one actually looked like it had a small pin in it, like it was some kind of valve maybe.......
  3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to see the photos, because my engines have all made clunking noises, but never clanking noises.

There needs to be a new diagnosis category for these engines: Clankenology
  4. kartpipes

kartpipes New Member

sounds like top end? if it has pins
  5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I just happen to be a qualified Clankenologist (with all the engine destruction i've experienced) and i'm positive it's either needle rollers from the connecting rod big end or small end, otherwise it's from the piston ring index pin.
  6. bigbird0373

bigbird0373 New Member

Thanks for all the imput! Got a friend coming over today with the tool to pull all the gears. Wish I could post pics but for some reason my pic downloads are disabled on this site..... :|
  7. Greg58

Greg58 Member

8. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

9. pedalman

pedalman Member

and the engine would still run without these components(needle rollers) in place? amazing these motors
  10. bigbird0373

bigbird0373 New Member

bit o metal I.jpg bit o metal II.jpg

okay so here is the pics of the two pieces of metal that fell out my motor. Any ideas?
  11. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Which part of the motor did they fall out of?
  12. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Well there's your problem: the gold reluctor ring on the right hand side of the photo is the wrong part for the engine.

No wonder it was making so much of a clanking!
  13. bigbird0373

bigbird0373 New Member

The head n piston were already off. I hadn't separated the block yet. (Still haven't) Think it came from the gear where the chain attaches or maybe the magnet?
  14. bigbird0373

bigbird0373 New Member

LOL nice.....bottle cap for size reference.
  15. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Without a jig to separate the cases, you'll have fun getting them apart, possibly sending the crankshaft out of true in the process.

I might just take some photos of the jig, because life will be a whole lot easier with the right tool for the job!
  16. bigbird0373

bigbird0373 New Member

Yes, where do I find one? Send pics.
  17. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Those bits don't appear to be from the connecting rod bearings, so i'm suspecting they might be the ball bearing separator cage from the crankshaft roller bearing.