Closest thing to a reliable 60 MPH Build

That doesn't surprise me. 4 stroke with force air should last a very long time with basic upkeep.
Regular routine maintenance is the key to longevity. Fix a small problem before it becomes a big problem. This philosophy applies to both bike and rider. Do those routine 6 month checkups with your doctor.

Frame reliability is also a huge consideration. As Jerry pointed out, there are bikes that can and have gone faster than 60mph. They aren't $200 machines, nor do they have the added weight and vibration of an engine.
Let's not forget that those Tour De France bikes are very specially made...Almost all of them have been carbon fiber for the past 20 years or so now, cost mega thousands of dollars, and weigh in at only 14 to 15 pounds...It may go 80 MPH the way it's designed, but put a motor on that carbon fiber bike and try to break the world land speed record with a motor strapped to it and it will be a pile of junk in no time...If you actually live through it, that is...lol.

The average cost of one of these carbon fiber bikes that they use is between 11,795 USD to 16,000 USD.

I would also venture to guess that after a race of around 2100 miles or so they either replace these bikes or totally rebuild or replace any moving parts on them just like race cars and race motorcycles.

Slap some pedals on a Harley, and call it a motorized bike.
They've already done that. It's how HD started out.

1691694069247.png

Slap some pedals on a Harley, and call it a motorized bike.
They've already done that. It's how HD started out.
YEP...That is exactly how H/D started...It was a motorised bicycle but was comparatively slower than what we can build ourselves in this day and age...The first production Harley-Davidson, namely the 1903-04 Model 1, could only reach a moderate top speed of 35 mph.

1903-04, Harley-Davidson:

FirstVersions_Harley-Davidson1903-1904-A.png

FirstVersions_Harley-Davidson1903-1904-B.png

YEP...That is exactly how H/D started...It was a motorised bicycle but was comparatively slower than what we can build ourselves in this day and age...The first production Harley-Davidson, namely the 1903-04 Model 1, could only reach a moderate top speed of 35 mph.

1903-04, Harley-Davidson:

View attachment 196812

View attachment 196813
If I'm remembering correctly they used a French bicycle frame.

Back