Clutch Clutch Arm springs back when it's not supposed to.

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by dparenti13, Sep 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

My clutch has been very hard to pull ever since I fixed the pins on the base plate. I don't think it's restrictions on the cable or grease because it ran fine before. The clutch arm springs back when I pull it the opposite way, and it never did that before. (The cable is not connected right now so it is not the cable pulling it back)

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

not sure what "pins on the base plate" means, but cam on bottom of arm shaft is flat, so it should work clutch in either dorection

if there is no free play at the mid point, then flower nut is too loose

3. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

What do you mean freeplay at the mid point? The arm never used to spring back the opposite way before I fixed the pins that keep the clutch plate from falling off when disengaged.

4. crassius

the cam at the end of the shaft is flat - when moved either way it will push the bucking bar in - when flower nut is properly adjusted, the bucking bar has a small gap between it and that cam so the cam can wiggle just a bit without pushing the bar (with no gap, the cam will wear quickly)

5. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

So I should loosen the flower nut and adjust the clutch using the cable?

6. crassius

flower nut should be tight enough to leave a bit of gap between cam and bucking bar - at that time one adjusts cable, then adjusts flower nut, then rechecks cable - all the steps are on th board here

7. Dparenti113

Dparenti113 Guest

I loosened the flower nut and checked and it still sprung back. Does the actuator bearing go in before the bucking bar?

8. crassius

yes, first bearing, then bar - flower nut gets TIGHTENED to LOOSEN bucking bar pressure

9. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

So how do I go about fixing this, tighten the flower nut?

10. Dparenti113

Dparenti113 Guest

Definetly fixed the cam springing backwards yet the clutch is now to hard to disengage

11. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

It fixed the arm springing back, but the clutch is now too tight to disengage. How do I fix this?

12. crassius

first, check that you did not put that silly little spring on the exposed inner cable like some of the very old instructions say to do

next, be sure the clutch cable isn't fastened down anywhere with zip ties, or that the cable isn't bent sharply around some piece of hardware

13. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

Tightening the flower nut helped the cam move where it is supposed to, but the clutch won't disengage now. The cable is not restricting it either.

14. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

Loosen flower nut a little bit so the clutch remains engaged but disengages when you pull it , if too tight it won't disengage , if too loose it won't engage

15. crassius

that isn't particularly good advice - there are 100s of posts with the step-by-step instructions to adjust cable & clutch

I've typed all that out way too many times for a board that has search function - one needs to follow those steps and get it right rather than just try this, try that.

16. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

Can you send me a forum with instructions?

17. crassius

just use the search function built into this board for 'adjust cable clutch'

18. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

Could you link me, because I can't find a thread like this.

19. dparenti13

dparenti13 New Member

Nevermind, I got it all sorted out. Thanks Crassius and Zippinaround.

20. crassius