Huasheng 142F-Belt Drive-Clutch is stuck?

DanTheDIYGuy

Local time
3:36 AM
I managed to stop riding the bike when this happened. I heard an odd sound (which I can't describe, sorry) and I shut off the engine. When I tried to start it again, the clutch would be stuck in an engaged state with the clutch bell. I've disassembled the clutch assembly, tightened up one of the three shoes' springs as it was backed out considerably (I have the 82mm style), re-greased with high-temp bearing grease the bushing, and then put it all back together again.

No change. The clutch is still stuck in an engaged state. Do you think I may have busted that clutch? I did order a new one just in case. It will show up in a few days. The clutch bell looks just fine, no serious wear. The bushing is not worn enough to be the issue (I think, please correct me if I'm missing something). I have eliminated the engine being the problem as I started it with the clutch assembly open (and I witnessed the shoes expand outward as they should, and the drivetrain was disassembled enough that I can eliminate that as the issue.

I just thought of an important detail. If I have the engine off, and I try to roll the bike forward or backward, it locks up. That makes me think that maybe it could be that bushing. Does anyone know what size of bushing or bearing I could use to replace the original?

Could you please share the link where you ordered the new one?

I think @Deleted Member 4613 has a pretty good solution a couple of posts down from here.
I purchased the 82mm flyweight, as it is the only one resembling what I have in my engine currently.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have exactly the same set up as yours. Mine has 3 shoes and a correction: straight shaft. I know you measured yours correctly but I'm gonna double check mine before ordering a back up. Thank you for the post Dan. I thought they were unavailable. With these type of parts you'd better buy 'em when you see 'em.

I have succeeded in fixing the issue without installing the new clutch. It turns out that in my particular situation, high-temp axle grease does not work well enough for lubricating the bushing. I needed to do the hot oil soak (I chose to soak for two hours). I am going to order some extra bushings and keep them soaked in oil in my parts kit that comes with me when I ride. It's not hard, nor does it take long or many tools to do a roadside bushing swap. I've already done it once, I just had the wrong lubricant. Thank you for the help.

I have succeeded in fixing the issue without installing the new clutch. It turns out that in my particular situation, high-temp axle grease does not work well enough for lubricating the bushing. I needed to do the hot oil soak (I chose to soak for two hours). I am going to order some extra bushings and keep them soaked in oil in my parts kit that comes with me when I ride. It's not hard, nor does it take long or many tools to do a roadside bushing swap. I've already done it once, I just had the wrong lubricant. Thank you for the help.

Regular bushings do not soak up oil

The bushing that will soak up oil is a Oilite sintered bronze bushing and that's best done by by putting the bushing in 30w or 40w boiling oil for 5 to 10 minutes
Oilite bushings come impregnated with oil and are good for 10k miles before re impregnation is needed
Or if the bushing is stored in dirt it'll need to be re impregnated because dirt will suck the oil out

Regular bushings do not soak up oil

The bushing that will soak up oil is a Oilite sintered bronze bushing and that's best done by by putting the bushing in 30w or 40w boiling oil for 5 to 10 minutes
Oilite bushings come impregnated with oil and are good for 10k miles before re impregnation is needed
Or if the bushing is stored in dirt it'll need to be re impregnated because dirt will suck the oil out
I am aware, thank you. I purchased two to keep on hand for when this happens again.

Back