Cracked gas tank.

sonic883

Local time
11:27 PM
hi, my motorised bikes fuel tank started leaking quite bad when i was filling up at the petrol station. At home,i drained the tank and took the tank off, at the top, on tge bottom is a rough spot with a crack. for the past few weeks ive been riding with not much petrol in the tank, since the cracks at the top, I need to fill the tank up to where its not reaching the crack. Im going to buy a new tank, but in the meantime whats a temporary fix ? glue ?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
since the cracks at the top, I need to fill the tank up to where its not reaching the crack. Im going to buy a new tank, but in the meantime whats a temporary fix ? glue ?
Just keep in mind that in the link below, that this is NOT how to "fix" your leaky tank, The OP went for kind of more permanent solution there...lol.

A plus one from me with Chainlube's suggestion of Seals All...DAMIEN

I dont have that adhesive in the garage, if i was to order it, i may as well order a new tank. ive heard about soldering the crack shut, will that work ?

If you're getting a new tank... Just throw some duct tape on it for now.
It should last for a few days... It may not look pretty but it'll get you by for now.

I had a Honda CT90 tank that was leaking from one of the bolt tangs that joins it to the pressed steel frame. Wasn't a big leak but enough that people could smell it and I figured the fumes could be ignited if I left it alone.

Wash out the tank so it doesn't smell like gas before thoroughly drying it and have someone adept at brazing, ( myself in this case..) do the brazing.

I cleaned all the old paint off the tang and bottom of the tank for at least 2 inches because the heat will crackle and ruin whatever paint is present. Lots of flux and go in fast with a hot, adequate sized torch tip so you're not overheating the steel too much. let the brass flow around the break and into the tank itself. After brazing let cool down and then water soak the brazed area so the borax flux is diluted by the water. quickly dry and prime coat and repaint.

Back