Mounting gas tank

I do not have any problem with that with my mags...Did you buy different mags than I did???...Mine are the 3 spoke mags made by STAR that I got from bikeberry, (the only thing that I do buy from bikeberry)...The housing the valve stems go though fits the valve stem perfectly with the Bell extra thick self sealing tubes that I use.

Perhaps with your setup, you will simply need to buy a normal tire valve extension and just screw it on the tire valve when you have need to add air to your tires and just simply remove it thereafter so as not to snag the extension with something inadvertantly.

This is how much my tube valve protrudes through the mag.

View attachment 196724
same wheels... different tube. I have a heavy puncture resistant tube and I guess the stem is shorter or because the tube is so thick, it does not protrude as much

same wheels... different tube. I have a heavy puncture resistant tube and I guess the stem is shorter or because the tube is so thick, it does not protrude as much
That is what I use is an extremely thick, heavy, punture resistant, self sealing tube, but possibly a different brand than yours perhaps.

Buying them directly from Slime costs 23 bucks, but Amazon carries them as well for around 15 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-30046-Self-Sealing-Schrader-1-75-2-125/dp/B000ENQRCI?th=1

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Dear Graggy- As long as you have a quality crimper/cutter, making your own cables is not that difficult. I spent $9.00 total for a complete Mountain Bike cable set on E-Bay, and it came with the derailleur and brake cable sleeves, cables, ferrules and endcaps. Although it's been about 14 years since I did this, I was able to create the custom front brake cable that I needed and lube it with Tri-Flo prior to installing. Thank God for Tektro brakes, as I only have a coaster brake at the rear, as there are no gussetted frame holes to mount any rear caliper brakes-Gearhead437

A piece of rubber, like old inner tube cut down and glued over the strapped down PVC piping will help the gas tank from wanting to slide around when you put it on over it and fasten it down...DO NOT over tighten those nuts on the gas tank studs as that has been a cause of many a gas tank leak on those stock "Chinesium" Gas tanks...lol.

View attachment 196627
What do you think of this idea I found. Putting nuts on the studs up against the tank then putting straps on upside down and then making another set of straps for the bottom and bolt them on. This way your not pulling on the gas tank but instead your pulling on the nuts up against the gas tank. It also raises the gas tank off the brake cable

Attachments

• IMG_2847.png
    IMG_2847.png
    784.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2848.png
    IMG_2848.png
    785.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2849.png
    IMG_2849.png
    851.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2850.png
    IMG_2850.png
    833.5 KB · Views: 74
That's a great idea and one that I almost did. My Hyper top tube is so curved that I had to fold an inner tube on itself and use double sided tape tp ensure that it all sits right before tightening the nuts. With that much cushioning, one doesn't have to really crank down on the nuts to hold the tank:)-Gearhead437

My Hyper top tube is so curved that I had to fold an inner tube on itself and use double sided tape tp ensure that it all sits right before tightening the nuts.
I had to do pretty much the same thing on my Hyper when I changed gas tanks to the big 1 gallon tank...lol...It works though.

I used sheets of rubber I bought for that one.

I had to do pretty much the same thing on my Hyper when I changed gas tanks to the big 1 gallon tank...lol...It works though.

I used sheets of rubber I bought for that one.
And just about every bike looks better with that larger tank. And it has much better mounting brackets welded on instead of those troublesome studs. Well worth $36.

Back