Crank shaft and clutch shaft won't come out. Why?

Or they possibly snagged on something and are doing their best to keep you from opening the case...

What you mean there may still be some stuck between the crankshaft and the case- given the crankshaft is still not budging out?

Could the pieces dropped in perhaps be from broken piston rings? I dropped broken rings in my case and retrieved then with a magnetic screwdriver. Some got stuck a little between the crank and case, took lots of effort to get those out. Who knows what's actually impeding your efforts, but I assume it's those pieces since odds are it's the only things in there that don't belong.

Could the pieces dropped in perhaps be from broken piston rings? I dropped broken rings in my case and retrieved then with a magnetic screwdriver. Some got stuck a little between the crank and case, took lots of effort to get those out. Who knows what's actually impeding your efforts, but I assume it's those pieces since odds are it's the only things in there that don't belong.
The problem is the shaft not threading out easily- I really don't think the broken piston rings are going to affect that. Theyre are tiny and are brushed aside easy. They can't still be there- it's impossible. In future though the magnetic screwdriver is a fantastic idea.

The crank journal (shaft) is supposed to be a sliding fit in the inner diameter of the bearing.
Corrosion, dried oil, rust and burring might keep it there.
Some penetrating oil and maybe a file might be needed to free things up.

The bearing outer diameter is a press fit in the case half. Aluminum expands more from heat than steel does so heat it up to 250f in the oven and the bearings will come out with a gentle tap. Propane torch might help. Heat to outside, chill the inside with wet cloth.

Protect whatever you tap on, use a nut or bolt if it is threaded. Use wood, brass or aluminum blocks to protect.
Go slow and think about what you are doing. Chalk the mistakes up to learning...

Sweet- thanks. How much do I owe you? :) Oh and ... if it's just a sliding fit through a bearing then I'll assume there's no threads inside there at all. I thought that there were and that I'd damaged them to death.

Sweet- thanks. How much do I owe you? :) Oh and ... if it's just a sliding fit through a bearing then I'll assume there's no threads inside there at all. I thought that there were and that I'd damaged them to death.
the threads you damaged are on the end you hammered , when you get it out try put the nut back on! you wont be able but you can probably rethread it or file the mushroomed bit off there is enough room to remove a few mm of the thread

the threads you damaged are on the end you hammered , when you get it out try put the nut back on! you wont be able but you can probably rethread it or file the mushroomed bit off there is enough room to remove a few mm of the thread
By "nut"- do you mean the one on top before I removed the gear wheel?

Back