DelortoCarb on Grubee

no luck

so i messed around and didnt get too far.

I dropped in a 64 main jet and noticed more torque at first, but still not enough to go up a mildly steep hill under load. I noticed that if I put the choke on it would kill the engine.

What does it mean!?!

Anyhow I decided to jack around with different jets going down to a 60 where the opposite happened and it would only run on choke - not cool considering before I had a 56 and I could get it to run without the choke but no torque. For curiosity sake I then dropped in the original 70 and it was similar to the 64.

I thought maybe increasing the richness in the needle would help but it really didnt do much.

Now I have put everything back to where I had it with the 64 main jet and it runs even crappier than before. Barley idles unless choked.

One thing I've noticed is a very small whistle as I begin to start the engine.Perhaps a vacuum leak coming from my hacked home made intake?

Another thing is the exhaust that leaves behind a wet oily residue on the floor of my garage. Is this an indication that its running rich?

I looked online to find that in order to figure out jet size you need to run WOT with the choke on. If it bogs down at WOT then your jet is too big. at WOT it runs well regardless even w/ 70 main jet.

So I've ran into a few contradictions in my conclusions and don't know what the heck is going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

got it going. Not super stoked with the power though. I can barely make it up a hill.
it looks like the engine gets pretty hot. the gasket sealer bubbles on the intake.

is it the motor?

Back