DIY Wal Philips fuel injector

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Flapdoodle, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

As a teen in the 60's I built my own Wal Philips fuel injector for an Allstate 50cc moped. I did not have a chance to test it completely before the Viet Nam war got hold of me, but it did have gobs of low end torque. When I returned from Nam, my bike and two spare engines were gone. :icon_cry:

It was a two barrel design fabricated from hobby brass, and all-thread rod with the small parts machined using a Unimat 3" hobby lathe. Sounds like a real challenge, but was not all that hard.

For those who have not heard of the Wal Philips injector, see the two links below:

I took the liberty of massaging the photos on the victory site that were almost impossible to see and uploaded them in a zipped file here:

Today, we have a host of materials that were not available then, such as J-B Weld that would make a prototype for an HT a lot easier. The advantages for us would be the lack of a float, and almost infinite adjust ability.

I am not certain I want to build another one, but at least will make a few drawings and calculations that I can post here if anyone is interested.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009

2. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Excellent post and ideas FD. Quite involved. It's awesome you made it back to our soil and sucks somebody else obviously wasn't counting on you too! Wish I had time to persue it!
  3. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

on the chance you were never acknowledged with respect.

Welcome Home Sir