Does polishing the motors crank connecting rod help performance?

GW's Motorized

Local time
7:41 AM
I got to thinking about old hotroder tricks, and I remembered that people would spend the time to polish their connecting rods to help keep drag down. I'm assuming this is mainly for four stroke engines due to the oil in the bottom, but would it do anything for a two stroke? Would it harm it?

I got to thinking about old hotroder tricks, and I remembered that people would spend the time to polish their connecting rods to help keep drag down. I'm assuming this is mainly for four stroke engines due to the oil in the bottom, but would it do anything for a two stroke? Would it harm it?
Polishing the con rod removes weight and makes it lighter

Polish the con rod and balance the crank at the same time, Your engine will be happy

Polish it up, if you really want to make it work better the rod passes through the fresh intake charge every stroke and creates turbulence in the case, so with the crank balance reducing weight from the reciprocating mass helps smooth out the engine and rounding off the rods edges or even knife edge it for the best results.

Attachments

• 2018-06-22 22.42.51.jpg
    2018-06-22 22.42.51.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 72
Polish it up, if you really want to make it work better the rod passes through the fresh intake charge every stroke and creates turbulence in the case, so with the crank balance reducing weight from the reciprocating mass helps smooth out the engine and rounding off the rods edges or even knife edge it for the best results.
Polishing the con rod removes weight and makes it lighter

Polish the con rod and balance the crank at the same time, Your engine will be happy
Thank-you SR and Wrench, now I too have learned something new to me on these two strokes...lol.

I don't think it would do a whole heck of alot for a 2 stroker, they are not high RPM or high compression type motors that would benefit from this.

Beside that, I haven't remembered seeing any post here that even allude to this either.
Yes there are older post's covering this, been doing this for a long time!

Yes there are older post's covering this, been doing this for a long time!
A word to the wise on polishing conrods with these China girl engines I would say yes a slight benefit might be had but if you are talking about any other decent quality motor never touch the connecting rods with anything abrasive they would be shot peened which greatly increases the fatigue strength and sanding or polishing or deep scratches would greatly reduce its overall strength.

Back