E-Trike Cruiser 1000wat 48ah

Watts Up Meter Mounting

LiL Update

Been taking it easy waiting for the new speed controller to arrive...found out
today it only left Miami yesterday so chances of getting it this week are
slim to none...Not to impressed with TNC Scooters i give you the tip, they
emailed me 2 days ago telling me it was sent on the 20th the lying *****s...

So...I decided i would make a mount for my Watts Up meter today,
i didn't want to mount it on the handle bars, keeping the wire length
short is advantageous PLUS the thicker wire i will be using to hook up the
electrics wont be so pliable and might restrict the movement of
the handle bars.

Here's a couple of pics of what i knocked up (final assembly i will replace
the bolts with allen key variety and cap screws
)-->

http://members.ii.net/~aussiejester/index/pictures/Custom_crusier_8.jpg

Once its powder coated and not hurriedly brushed over with metal primer paint
i think it will be more appealing :)

I have also been procrastinating the battery mounting situation, as i will be
ultimately buying a Lifpo4 pack i really don't want to weld mountings to the f
rame to suit the larger dimensions of the 4x12volt slas as i wont be mounting
the Lifepo4s in the same position it will interfere with the future planned addition
of bottom bracket/pedals....more on that tomorrow...

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow

This is the most creative build that I have seen on this site. You are in a class of your own. The craftmanship is unmatched. I am going to school on the parts that you are making. Great pics too!

Thankyou Zomby Builder appreciate that, glad you took the time to have a look over
the worklog, hope you got some ideas/inspiration from it for your own projects :)

Update

I tackled the battery mounting today, keeping with the 'trend' to re-cycle
materials i opted for some 3mm thick angle iron picked up YES you guessed off the side
of the road during council rubbish collection LoL...I have raised the mounting up
slightly so as the 4x12v SLAs fit into the frame, I measured the spacing
so as they mounts will also fall between the overall length of a Lifepo4 pack
so i wont need to re-do them in the near future--->

http://members.ii.net/~aussiejester/index/pictures/Custom_crusier_10.jpg

I cut the 4 mounts from the angle, gave them a 'clean' up with flap disk to rid them
of rust before bolting them together and matching them up on the Linisher...Once
welded in place i slapped on some Kill Rust Metal Primer to prevent future rusting
before it gets to the Powder Coaters for sandblasting and powder coat...

I have used 3mm thick aluminum checker plate as a 'platform' to strap the batteries too,
the checker plate is bolted to the mounts, the 4 SLAs are fastened to the plate
via Kevlar packaging tape (i have been told 8 raps of this tape is
strong enough to tow a small car)
so i think it will suffice for now to
hold the batteries.The lifpo4 pack will have a custom
aluminum box made with a padlock on it to keep them secure..

Shall run the wiring tomorrow, install a plate to mount charging plug and ignition switch...

Back soon fellas...

Kim

This thread, and your build log, are downright inspiring. I, too, am disabled and unable to ride a two-wheeler. I've been working on trike design for my own use for a good while, and hope to begin building soon. Please keep updating as your project develops.

New Electra Handlebars Fitted

Thankyou SimpleSimon glad to hear you liked the worklog makes taking the time and effort to document a build more worthwhile when people acknowledge they have gotten something from it ;-) Have you any pics of your design yet or is it all "upstairs" at this stage? Best of luck with your build if there's anything you think i maybe able to help with please don't hesitate to ask, you can pm me here or on msn if you have it aussiejester@hotmail.com Look forward to seeing your build let me know when you start a log bud...

Update

Matt dropped of the "old school" Electra handle bars he picked up for me from Electra Bikes today I'm as happy as pig in p o o p :;):
i have to say...

The bars aren't suited for use with 4 bolt stems like i have on the trike, so a lil
"relieving" was required...I have used my air powered die grinder for this, finishing
off with some coarse sandpaper wrapped around a largish round pen to even
out the job-->

http://members.ii.net/~aussiejester/index/pictures/Custom_crusier_12.jpg

The seated potion is sooooo comfy, no back aches foreseen
on long jaunts now that's for certain Only downside is i need
some longer brake cables for the front anchors now LoL

Have a pc to build this arvo for a mates father so wont be
another update on wiring till tomorrow folks...

Back then

Kim

Go Aussie Go.

Nothing an Aussie on a Hill carn't conquer with a Garage full of tools
and a full fridge of beer.

I bow down to your greatness AJ. fully sick build Bro !! :3:

You've written a book right there.
Carnt wait til the movie comes out of your exploits,
I'll rip it off the internet for sure.

Keep posting updates, and a vid of your ride would be awesome.

Thanks, AJ -

I started out wanting to build a tadpole leaner (still want to, really), but the deeper I got into researching it the more apparent it became that it would require a LOT of custom fabrication work for which I do not have tools or shop space.

So, I started looking at delta trikes, to be as much as possible fabbed up usong standard components. The design process I do in Google SketchUp, as it gives me a fully rotatable 3D rendering of my mental vision. I've done several different designs, and am working on a full suspension recumbent chopper style right now.

I can pedal - I just can't feel anything from the knees down and can't balance a bike as a result. To keep both my desire for some exercise, and the law here in Louisiana happy, I've pretty much decided on pedal chain to a NuVinci hub, from that hub to a jackshaft, which will go to a tranfer sprocket co-axial with the pivot point of the full suspension rear forks. From there fixed gear final drive goes to each rear hub.

On the attached pic the gold transparency represents the chain loop plane from the pedal chainring to the primary drive on the NuVinci hub, the chain loop forward from that to the jackshaft behind the transverse frame member is uncolored, and the red translucencies at each wheel represent the final drive chain loops. Not yet sketched in is the steel box tubing frame which will support the batteries and the electric motor which will go to the 2ndary input sprocket on the NuVinci. The electric motor is one I've extracted from an electric trolling motor, 24V, that a guy I know gave me. It is rated at 1.6 HP at 24V, and feeding through the NuVinci will give me all the speed/hill climbing power I really want.

The biggest drawback I've encountered with trikes in years past is cornering, and everything I've learned tells me that the lower I can get the CG, the less of a problem that will be. Thus, the recumbent design, with seat height being approximately the same as axle height on the two 26" rear wheels.

As envisioned, the batteries will mount on frames just behind the jackshaft, on each side of the NuVinci, with the motor behind and below it. Over 70 percent of the fixed mass of the bike will be located below and just forward of the rear axle line (shown). The rear wheels are designed to have up to 3 inches of vertical travel, with shocks controlling that through a racker arm linkage, as pictured.

Right now, this is a conceptual sketch - I have not done the calculations for sprocket sizing and suspension elements travel, but these are a pretty fair approximation. I intend to salvage rear frames and bottom brackets from two identical full suspension bikes for the rear end, so those may vary considerably depending on what I can get. Likewise, front forks/suspension are not shown because that is dependent on donor bike availability.

Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• Full suspension recumbent delta trike.jpg
    Full suspension recumbent delta trike.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Interesting design there mate... Personally i'm not a huge fan of recumbent style bikes, i wouldn't feel so 'safe' on the roads sitting so low down..that said i like your design and keeping the CG low is definitely a good idea, a reason i built this latest trike actually, my old trike did corner surprisingly well, this new one will be even better. The independent suspension is a cool feature, something i have considered but dismissed due to my trike being solely for on road use. I would be a little concerned of weight though, particularly since your using the 24 volt motor since you have the ability to pedal though you can help out the motor on hills. The number of chains is going to reduce efficiency somewhat i believe...combined with the fact your driving both wheels and the devinci hubs aren't efficient as say a derailleur setup, those devinici's are surprisingly heavy to my mate Matt was just telling me about his today and the weight... I shall be very interested to see how it comes together, i would also seriously urge you to join Endless Sphere the help you will get there is priceless some VERY clever guys there into electric bicycles that can be far more helpful than I, stink bikes as they are commonly called on ES ie. internal combustion motored bicycles, are frowned upon, its exclusively electric and a VERY active forum. I use the same nick on ES, hope to see you there...

Cheers for sharing your design, i wish you all the best with your build...

Kim

Last edited:
Well, good points, all. Most of this town is pretty flat - I live in the only significantly hilly part of it. Derailleurs are a bit of an issue for me - I need a shifting mechanism that I can use with my right thumb. I don't have a left hand, and only the thumb and first two fingers of my right hand are useful. I can set up the brake lever to be usable with my left prosthetic, with a custom fabbed lever. Weight is a concern, but since I will have power assist and the weight of the batteries to deal with anyway, it's basically a compromise I can live with. I hope to do some pretty lengthy trips with the rig once built and debugged - towing a "power cart" with a generator to extend range considerably. I'd prefer to actually put the generator onboard, but legal issues here make using a trailer (legally, a seperate vehicle) more workable.

Width is designed to be 30", so as to fit in standard doors, and as a prescribed "handicapped mobility device" (I have a cooperative doctor) with electric power it will be legal to roll into the local WalMart on it.

Wow

AussieJester
I wish I was half a talented as you. Very well done and great documentation as well. I can only dream about fabricating the way you did on that build. I can come up with some ideas but could never execute them they way you can. I bow to the master!

Jim

Back