ebay find (vintage bicycle motor)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by echotraveler, Feb 15, 2009.

1. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

2. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Look at my avatar at the top & see the O & R bike I used to have.
  4. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

oh yeah thats the first one...lol...it seems they auction a display model, whats your experience?
  5. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

It was a pretty good runner. Hard to find parts for , now, but I never needed anything other than gaskets , which are available online.Steel friction drive roller on front wheel. Same advantages & disadvantages on any friction drive. Screamer, very loud at full throttle & guesstimated 120mpg. It mated best with a middleweight, or hybrid type bike. Lightweight skinny tire racer bike had the fastest speed but in my area the roads are too rough. I weigh 175 I could do a max of 20mph, which is enough for me. Of course, a lighter rider & lighter skinny tire bike would be faster. They were sold under the names; Ohlsson & Rice, Orline, & Chicken Power kits.
  6. I still have my chicken power that I rode 20+ years ago mine was the black color.
    but same as most others I have seen.

there was one unusual set up for some of the chicken powers that had an extended muffler that extended all the way to lower front axle I only seen a few of those, but I have seen literally dozens of chicken powers.

the other day I was browsing evilbay myself & saw another unusual engine from my youth I belive what was called a bike bug, no I didnt bid.

7. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

yeah i also saw one, it was white colored...they look cool!
  8. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

It was odd that I sawChicken power kits with the extended muffler, but never saw that on one of the other O & R bike engines. Never saw a " chicken " decal on another either ! LOL
    There are still many of those old " Bike Bug , Taz, Free Spirit, " etc., etc, bike engines around. Here is a link to a website all about those ;
  9. thanks for the link I am looking it over I probably will never own own one but they are cool.

& as for the chicken powers with the decals where I grew up most had chickens on them but most I have seen outside of my neighborhood did not I guess the dealer that sold them here had the chicken decal ones? unsure.

I may can ask questions if I can find an old retired dealer an hour away in North Carolina that was a O&R dealer back when they were new. he had a huge collection & a good sized parts stash but it has been close to 10 years since I was at his house but have seen his set ups at a show I go to in July.

10. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

It is not hard to find the old Bike Bug type engine kits at all. Many are out there under their different names , & some only need a little work to get them going.The best, in my opinion, would be the latter version, with the square type plastic shroud over the engine. That one has a clutch & you don't have to manually lift, by lever, the engine off the drive wheel when stopping. You see them a lot on the BAY. Mike, from the link I sent , can answer about any question, supply parts, rebuild engines, etc.
    That would be good to get info on old O & R parts. The biggest problem with these , { all 2 strokes ] is people leaving old gas in them. That & a fuel pump diaphram that dries out. You can find a reproduction diaphram & other O & R info, here;

11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:idea:You know, with the chicken motor up front and a rear rack mount engine, that would be a sweet combination.

A 1.5" roller or 18.75:1 chain drive and you'd have an awesome low end/high end setup.
  12. thank you. I didnt know they had clutches most people would get off their bike & lift front tire & walk along side to get moving & jump back on or if a 20" would just stand up & lift front up & would walk slightly & jump on pedals & start pedaling before sitting down.

there were 3 or 4 chicken powers in my neighborhood which I ended up buying one of & several around town rode by people I didnt know.

there were several bike bugs & a few others I do not remember the names. I remember seeing the adds in Sears & Roebucks catalogs for an engine with square cover that fit on the rear.

as for the dealer there is a neighborhood in North Carolina where 4 small engine people live all are into different engines 1 is into the hit & miss style 1 was into the lawnmowers & different briggs & stratton engines & 1 guy that was a dealer for O&R & he had a huge collection including an electric start generator as well as several generators, chainsaws, weedeaters, hedge trimmers, water pump, & other applications.

I saw in pics the bike bugs where most had the lower exhaust like I have seen on a couple of chicken powers, but most chicken powers I have seen just had the standard short exhaust, not sure if that was optional or? the last one I saw with the lower exhaust the guy wanted $475 for the bike with engine & wasn't a runner & that was 7 or 8 years ago so I let it sitting the bike was just a ragged out beach cruiser but engine turned over & had spark but I didnt feel it was worth anywhere near that & guy just kept talking about it being rare. oh well...

I may have to look into a clutch model that might go good with my old custom I built it when I was 13 & I am 42 now & it has been rebuilt several times but I kept the basic style the same. dual fork front end with 1 set reversed running a 20" front tire & a 24" rear it had high rise style bars but the chicken power was a menace on that bike because you couldnt engage from the seat & was a 26 inch frame with a banana seat in rear with a tall sissy bar to lay against as a back rest. presently bike is dissasembled & stripped to bare metal for its new rebuild into??????? but will still be a 20" front with tall bars but will probably use a standard seat with a rear luggage rack where originally I used a front luggage rack mounted down low over front tire.

13. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Did your Chicken-Power not have a clutch ? My O & R hjad one & you never needed to disengage when coming to a stop. It was only disenagged when starting the motor or when pedalling. The Solex mopeds used a lower muffler as well.
    In Cuba, you have to be ingenious to build anything or keep it running. They keep their 1940-50's American cars going forever. Here is a link to enjoy ! Type - Rikimbili - into your search engine & enjoy !
  14. well I dont remember it having a clutch I havent cranked it in over 10 years but if it did have a clutch it was locked up. I have a Husky chainsaw with a locked up clutch I use now & then one of these day i will spend the money for a clutch but chain spins all the time engine is running & you have to open throttle before you can cut. been like that since it was given to me several years ago.

I liked the Rikimbili site when I grew up the soda bottles were glass but a few people used them, as well as 5 quart oil cans which were like stubby antifreeze jugs but held more gas. the chicken power holds like 1 pint? I carried a gas can on luggage rack with premixed as chicken power needed gass too often with its small tank, but the guy I got it from used a bigger bottle on handlebars.

Thank you,
  15. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

is there a place i can post a link to this thread? so people can acces info on the chicken motor?
  16. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

17. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

18. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

19. maverick3855

maverick3855 New Member

Here is another one if anyone is interested.

Ebay Item number: 320351042309