Engine sprocket does not turn. Help a newbie out? =)

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by GIMojoe, Sep 16, 2007.

1. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

Hey guys, I just installed one of these wicked thing, BUT the engine sproket doesnt turn -.-'.

I am NOT really mechanically inclined. The chain isnt jammed. The instruction said to peddle first before releasing the clutch, but it just feels like im peddling with breaks on.

Help guys? :D

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

3. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

i saw that thread of yours. Mine looks exactly the same. Still doesnt roll though. I tried looking inside of the clutch area thing. I have no idea what the purpose of the clutch is. It doesnt look like it touhes anything really. Do you happen to have pictures of how the clutch area in the engine is suppose to look like? Ill take some pictures right now and post them

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

it doesn't have to "look" the same...the pictures show how close the final adjustment will be. use the adjuster on the engine to fine-tune.

5. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

wait.... theres an adjuster on the engine....?

6. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8973.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8972.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8964.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8971.jpg
    and heres the rest of the chain
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8965.jpg

Also ive been curious about this.

The white wire is to be grounded right(i read it somewhere here), so I guess i... tape it to a bolt or the frame or something? Black with black, blue with blue AND one black wire from the kill switch. But is that how I do it? in the picture i just put the black wire into one of the blue and i plan to just stick the other blue one in there as well.

and the last black wire im guessing i ground also right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8968.jpg

EDIT: NO image tags! and NO cheating by adding them in yourself. see my sig for help with pics

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i think you'd better read that one about the wiring more closely.

8. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

Well, The black goes with black, the blue goes with blue.

Then theres 2 black wire from the kill switch. One goes to the blue one as well, and the other goes no where, the white goes no where.

Thats what I got from reading it 20 times over. I just dont KNOW how to wire things. So I take guess shots at it. If you can be so kind as to show me. Id really appreciate it.

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

isn't that what i just did? experience or no, guessing won't cut it...it looks like you're almost right, but you have to run the other wire from the kill-switch to ground (frame or engine)

now, here's some rare "friendly" advice from me...new people show up all excited and usually in a hurry...in the process, they start glomming up the forums, and the bike, they get frustrated and sometimes can forget their manners (you haven't done that yet, but you're missing answers & breaking forum policy because you're in a hurry), so be cool...

10. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

Thanks. But is that how you connect one of the kill switch wires to the blue ones? Just thread it through and then connect the other blue one on top?

also is that how the clutch is suppose to look like? i dont see where anything touches when i grasp the clutch.

11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Under General Install, there is a thread named "Wiring - once and for all". Read it and you will know where to stick the wires. As for the clutch. I believe there are lots of pictures of clutches in various states of assembly. Look for differences between yours and the pictures. It sounds to me like that's where your problem is. All this of course, keeping in mind that I don't, and never have, had one of these motors.

I don't know exactly where you are located, but since winter is coming on, if you want to pay the freight, I'll come on down to take a look at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2007
  12. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

i know where to stick the wires, i just dont how HOW lol. Do i wrap it around the other or just stick them through each other like I did in the picture. I looked through all of the pictures in the forum for clutches and such. No help.

Im in canada, its not much better than alaska haha.

13. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Whatever gives you good contact between wires and nothing else. For the clutch, I'm assuming (scary thought), that when the clutch handle is pulled, the lever turns (wait a minute, I've got to look at the pictures). Okay. When the clutch handle is not pulled, the arm is parrallel with the clutch cover. And when you pull on the clutch handle, the arm moves so it is about 10 degrees inboard of parallel with the clutch cover. If this is not true. that may be where your problem is.
    If it is true, the problem probably lies elsewhere. There is a rod that sticks out of the middle of the engine sprocket. If it is pushed in, the clutch should allow the sprocket to turn. If that doesn't work, something is probably assembled wrong.
    Good night. Good luck.

14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yes, step one on the clutch thingy. then we'll know what to tell you. we don't even know if the install's correct yet.

right now, when you pull the clutch handle is the clutch arm moving?

btw-if you're gonna stick around after you get your help, it might be a good idea to post in "introduce yourself" :cool:

15. spunout

spunout Member

i just looked at the first picture...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8973.jpg
    your cable barrel appears to be on the wrong side of the arm...and it looks like the arm is facing the wrong direction. pull it out, and make it so the arm has it's cable slot facing the rear of the bike. the brass piece is supposed to go on the outside of it. the little brass piece, when fastened onto the cable correctly, will draw the arm in towards the motor, thus engaging the clutch.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i think that's simply the cover rotated backwards, the arm seems to be in the proper postion, but is it properly installed and adjusted? no telling yet from the pics and info.

17. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

i got the clutch working. only one thing left is to shorten the chain and im done. thanks for the help guys, ill still stick around. incase something else happens.

but one more question. in the carburetor, when its at rest, is the cylinder completely covering the hole, or is there a little gap.

18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

that gap is determined and adjusted by setting the idle screw...go back to the happy-time manual if you need to know more about that. keep us posted.

19. GIMojoe

GIMojoe Guest

i was just asking if the gap is suppose to be there. Thats all.

I asked my friend and he said it was, to allow air into the carburetor. I didnt see that in the manual. Im just asking simple questions about general things. I have no mechanical background, so I apologise if my questions are dumb.

This would be like if you were working on something that has to do with biology. And you have no biology background at all.You can read the books, but some words you wont understand. I didnt know what a carburetor or sprocket was until yesterday. So youd do the instinctive thing and ask somebody knowledgebl for help. thats what im doing. Sorry if the questions just seem dumb to you

20. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Actually, it was more like having someone give you the book, setting it down, and asking someone else for their crib sheet. You never have bothered to introduce yourself.

Sorry 'bout that. I do sometimes forget my manners.