Skyhawk 2 Stroke or Starfire 2 Stroke?

• Skyhawk

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Starfire

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don't like 2 strokes

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
The 2 stroke kits are definitely more compact than the 4 stroke--especially without the centrifugal clutch and gear box. We will be getting EPA approved 2 strokes (fully loaded), it's just a matter of who will make them. I like the look of the new StarFire Gen II also and am leaning towards them, however, the initial feedback seems to favor the SkyHawk brand. They do have a wider selection of optional parts, but the StarFire Gen II has some nice standard upgrades now such as a steel lined cylinder wall, 45 degree angle firing head, improved 203 crankcase bearings, needle bearings on the wrist pin, and a new carb design.

Do you prefer your 2 strokes with a centrifugal or a standard friction clutch?

I like the standard friction clutch.With the centrifugal clutch you have to change the crank out and the pull starts are junk.The friction clutch are almost maintance free.How long will it be before you start importing the now engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan to order 2 strokes very soon. I just want to make sure I get the product that best suits the masses and is the most desirable by most. It does take quite a while once the order is placed. Typically the turn around time is about 2 months from the time I place the order to the time we have it in hand and ready to ship.

So, after seeing the StarFire Gen II specs, do you feel it is a better product than SkyHawk has to offer?

I think that I like the features of the Starfire but the gas-n-go of the skyhawk is intriguing.

Slightly off topic but since we're talking about importing, why does no one offer the custom bikes that Grubee sells? Birddog?

Being lazy, I like the idea of a frame designed for the HT with the built-in gas tank, HD axle, and front forks with V-brakes. Combined with the HT, it would make a fine little offroad bike.

I like the StarFire Gen II from what i read at the Grube web site on the engine specs.Won't the after market parts like the carbs, tanks and pipes ect. fit on both engines.As for the bike it would be the cost.It would have to be better than there WSC if you know what i mean.Im real happy with the SS Schwinn's that i use now but the cost is $250+.

Mickey: In a nutshell the reason we don't see many of the Grubee frames here in the US is because of the price. The frames with the tanks are well over $100 each FOB China. Then you have to pay ocean freight, local freight, customs clearance, duties, etc. We could have them combined on a container of engines, but the minimum order is 100 units and I haven't really heard a lot of demand for them.

Hollywood: Yes, many of the parts are interchangeable, but if a part is only made at one factory it becomes difficult trying to get them to cooperate with each other. I guess they see it as helping the competition.

I suppose I would consider getting some frames if enough people showed interest. The price would be similar to the SS Schwinn you mention, but you would get a built in gas tank , HD Axel & drum brake, etc.

Birddog, I posted a poll on the question of price and demand. I know that I would pay $200 for one, probably a bit more.

OK, I'll try to keep my eye on it to see what the response is like. The frame that I like best is the one near the bottom--the 26" GT Aluminum frame with front shocks and built in tank. Is that what you had in mind?

Josh,I like the StarFire Gen ll 26" cruiser (yellow one).Won't the price be much cheaper on this model than on the 26" GT Aluminum frame plus its a compete bike less engine?I think this is what most people would be looking for if the price is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you might be right. Although the steel cruiser bike lacks the built in gas tank, it is a more complete solution for about $50 less. And since the kits will all include the gas tank anyway, this will be a more popular option. Based on that I think I will make this bike a part of my next order. Thanks for the feedback!

Back