EZ Motors HF 1950 Panther

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by chainmaker, Apr 9, 2011.

1. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

This is one of My current projects. The Misses got Me a 1950 Panther frame and a stainless steel tank by Sportscarpat for Christmas. Plans are for a
    2.5 HP HF motor
    EZ Motorbikes tranny, belt drive with rear wheel sheave
    90 mm sturmey up front, 110 coaster,

Tha frame and tank as I got it

[​IMG]

Front wheel I laced 12 ga. Stainless

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/thechainshoppe/0309011147.jpg

The frame 99 percent sanded down to 220

[​IMG]

A dry fit of the Motor

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/thechainshoppe/0402012107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

looking good chain :)
    gonna be a cool bike !!!

3. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

looking good Chain.

4. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

5. GOOD STUFF!! A couple questions. :confused:
    1. Where did you get the motor mount?
    2. Where did you get the springer front end?
    3. What type of throttle are you using? Twist or trigger?

I'm using the same motor so your photos are very helpful. LOVE the air cleaner! :idea: Maybe you can do an "instructable" on it's construction.

6. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Thanks !!

As far as the mount goes Im having one welded in using 2 steel angles..here is a pic the of some the guy did for Pirates

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/thechainshoppe/mount2.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/thechainshoppe/mount1.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/thechainshoppe/mount3.jpg
    The springers are the ones sold on e-bay and other sites and re-manufactured by forum member sportscarpat otherwise crappy welding will cause them to fail.

And for a throttle I went to a farm and garden and got a mini bike twist throttle for 9.95 to My surprise it is made of metal under the grip not the crappy kit plastic kind, Ill probabally keep the grips off and just wrap the bars with grip tape.

7. Photos are wonderful. gives others good ideas of what works (and what doesn't). I really need a TIG welder...my MIG spatters too much and the feed rollers are starting to slip. I'm using a thumb trigger throttle. Now I need to find some retro grips! Nice job on the build! Can't wait to see it finished.

8. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

I agree pictures help. Again the bike shown with the motor attached isnt mine I just posted it so you could see the type of mounts I am planning on using.

9. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

10. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Fantastic build!

Looks like the HF motor "just fits" in the Panther frame.

Exicited to see your project, and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Have fun,

11. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Well here she is just about done just waiting on the belt, and a few other doo-dads. I thought I had started a thread on a bike Ive been building for the Misses to ride with Me.. its a 1953 Schwinn Spitfire DX I started with just a bare ratty frame and alot of work... heres a pic of it, its almost done as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

And the bike is finished. Here she is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

That bike is so nice!!! It needs this for the exhaust though.

Attached Files:

14. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Chainmaker,

Looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished building a test bike [to test the 2 speed drive] with the HF motor, and have several important bits of information.

I attached the throttle cable from the front of the motor. I made a special adapter plate to rotate the exhaust manifold to route the flex exhaust forward and then under the motor. A few simple holes allowed the motor to bolt to the stock kit motor mount.

Currently testing the motor and optional ratios with the adjustable front drive pulley. So far motor almost makes it to 40 MPH, but likes its gasoline. So far about 60 to 70 MPG, hopefully it will improve as the motor breaks in.

Sure do like the way you attached the rear belt idler.

What size rear belt did you use?

Lookin' Good!!!!!

Have fun,

15. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Thanks Jay..That is one of the next things on the list turning the exhaust towards the front. There is still a bit of tweaking to do here.

Quentin..Thanks Really liking the performance of the EZ, The belt tensioner is recycled from a china kit but I need to move both the idler mount bolts away from the frame a bit, the idler wheel rubs the wheel a bit. Im using an ax62 belt.

Thanks Again