Safety Finally, some wisdom to impart "Tube failure"

grinningremlin

Local time
5:51 PM
I suggest putting a spare tube in your kit.I run thorn proof EVERYTHING (Armadillo, tire liners, thorn resistant tubes), yet as I stopped 5 miles from home I hear the "FWOOM FWOOM FWOOM" of a serious flat.Running Presta valves and running the tires a bit low (for cushioning) allowed the tube to shift and ripped the stem off the tube, no fix-a-flat in the world will fix that.My kit has all the wondrous patching supplies, and we all walked the five miles home. I'll be drilling out the rims and running Schraders (stem has a little give) and carrying spare tubes, lesson learned.

a lot of times the stems are ripped from the tubes when removing the pump head from the stem, especially if it clamps to the stem.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

very good advice. I usually do bring along an extra tube because I hate having to walk my bike home

5 year old tube, 5 year old Kevlar tire. 65.00 Always the right pressure. Things wear out. Cell Phone sent the Pick up truck. I did the rear shake boogie from 25 mph. Oh well.

I gave up the cell-phone when it still had an exposed antenna (2002) haven't looked back.It would've taken as long to get a ride as it would to just walk, I live in the middle of BFE.

I must admit that i am one to run my tyres at a pressure that suits comfort over longevity.

In almost 50,000 kilometers (running thorn proof tubes and prior to fitting tyre liners) i've only had one puncture from a 3/16 inch stick going through the rear tyre - thorn proof tubes for the most part work sensationally well.

Under sever braking (with a serious disk brake and caliper setup) the front tyre tries to rotate around the rim and (almost with reliable predictability) after around 8,000 kilometers at a comfortable 20 psi the valve stem ends up ripping itself out of the inner tube.
The rear takes it better than the front, even though it is run with only an extra 4 psi over the front, being 24 psi.

Back