First Build- Stingray

sounds good CS
my motor is sitting in UPS's warehouse till Monday :(
may just get another fix from me bro's bike
CrazyGringo has a kulana moondog with the lil chengine, I'll get him to let me take it 'round the block a few times lol
think I'll be ok then till Monday

cutting the gusset

So yesterday I found that the engine wouldn't fit without some creative re-engineering of the bike. I made a paper template and used it to mark out the areas I wanted to cut out. I used my dremel and cut out a large chunk of metal from the gusset. I do't see it as being harmful to the frame, It's welded on after the frame is completed, so there is weld under the hidden part. I left a good bit of the gusset, I just needed a few more inches.

After 2 cutting wheels I had the thing out and it looks good. I ground downt he sharp edges and small pieces still stuck to the cuts. Not a sharp or pointy piece in sight. I'm going to remove the stickers. I figured I'd leave 'em on while cutting so that it'd protect the paint. As is I nicked a few places. I'll tape her out and paint her in a few days.

I'll get some pictures of that in a little while.

The tank is almost ready. I have one last bout of sanding to do today and she'lll be ready for her primer coat. 2 of the 4 dents can no longer be felt, so that's good. I've given up on being able to perfect the other dent, it's just in the wrong place for me tobe able to fix it. Probably with more time I could but I'm itching to get this beast on the road. I'm pretty excited about this tank and how good it's coming out. I think I've got a good 6 hours into it already.

Pictures of everything later today.

Nunya- I hate it when stuff is stuck in UPS warehouses! The UPS warehouse here is a hour away and hard to find. I've had to go a few times when they claim they've attempted delivery on things and I get a note on my door telling me they've tried 2x's already and I need to drive to Reading...

No fun!

pics

alright I took some pics of the bike after the gusset was cut. I thought that there were weld under the gusset, seems I was wrong, I looked up under there with the flashlight in day light and I must have seen shadows, no welds....

I think I left enough of the gusset that it will be okay though.

see more about my bike here

and pictures here

Attachments

• IMG_5949.jpg
    IMG_5949.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_5950.jpg
    IMG_5950.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5954.JPG
    IMG_5954.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 194
all that glitters is not gold

deep silver. did 2 coats of primer, sanded it down.
Put on the first coat of silver, let that harden add 2nd coat.

I'm waiting for it to harden so I can sand it smooth. There's a little bit of orange peel but not much, a little hit with the 800 grit should solve that problem. Then I'll add a layer of blue metalic and see what we get. I'm thinking of taping off some stripes down the center...:p

Attachments

• IMG_5955.JPG
    IMG_5955.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_5956.JPG
    IMG_5956.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 181
I have a decision to make... How much do I love this bike and like to ride it as a bike? Do I want to pedal it and how much do I want this engine on the bike?

The reality of it is that if I want THIS engine on the bike I'm going to have to cut the seat post. Also the pedals probably won't fit with THIS engine.

So do I want a scooter or a moped?

Last edited:
so I bit the bullet and cut off the tube, dry fit the engine in, put the seat back on and put the tank on.

The blue on the tank is the wrong color blue but ... it looks good. It looks bad, it looks hot. I can't wait to get it all hooked up and ride it.

Because I'm totally retentive I'm going to fix the tank color. I have to. The stripes look good though.

no pics since color no match I reckon ;)
I don't blame ya
my paint scheme is going to have to wait until my budget can afford the right paints.
not long I don't think

Back