First build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by an1m3n00b, May 25, 2013.

1. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

This is my first ever build. I don't have the engine yet, it's still in the mail. While I'm waiting for it, I figured I'd ask around and see what kind of torture i'm about to put myself through. My bike is a Genesis 29er mountain bike from walmart (totally rebuilt by me), and the engine is a grubee skyhawk 48cc gt2b kit. BTW: assuming I actually get a working engine and not a box of bricks I've been fairly impressed by the seller (gasbike.net) so far. Once I get the engine I'll finalize that statement.

My main concern is the hell this guy went through getting his to fit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRSEPCOgUY. His was a 66cc kit, whereas mine is the 48, so maybe it'll fit better. Although i find it hard to believe that much smaller bikes will fit the engine with ease while this monster won't fit the engine and the carburetor at the same time.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I haven't motorized a 29er Genesis or Onyx. You will be able to fit the engine to your frame. Don't be in a hurry to force a fit. If you need something extra to fit the engine, like an oversized front engine mount or offset intake manifold, they are available on EBay or thru a lot of engine vendors. Some of these needs just can't be determined until the engine arrives.

3. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

Is there anything I should replace from the outset? Like gy6s always come with crappy plugs and oil? Or should I just wait to see what breaks first?

4. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

OOK, im no mechanical genius, and I've overlooked the size of the tubes. The rear mount is barely too small. I could probably file it down. But the front mount is way too small the threads don't even fit around the tube. 1369848411521.jpg 1369848529202.jpg

5. GAS-RIDEZ

GAS-RIDEZ Member

This will solve it for the front mount.

Attached Files:

6. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  7. GAS-RIDEZ

GAS-RIDEZ Member

Hardware

I buy the clamp in hardware and the plate is from a vertical curtain,plate is use like a weight at the end of the curtain.

8. GAS-RIDEZ

GAS-RIDEZ Member

I think that Bike Berry will works.

9. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

thanks, will be ordering tonight... hope it works...

EDIT: i actually received the 66cc kit rather than the 48, although i paid the 66cc price for it, so im not too upset. still havent got it together and running. I also just figured out the engine has different stud sizes with this kit, so that helps with the clearance issue. due to the offset intake my carb is well out of the wway of the frame. the spark plug, due to it being the slant version is only slightly too long but with the smaller studs and mount it should fit. also the sprocket doesnt really fit in the spokes. i got it on, but the metal plates facing the freewheel cant go on due to the bolts being at an angle. it does otherwise ffit though. probably put some washers on once i get it running. other than that the kit seems pretty well built.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  10. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

UPDATE, i got the bracket in and the rest all bolted on. i even got it running... 3 times all less than a minute...the tensioner doesn't seem to be doing it's job very well, and the clutch sprocket keeps getting jammed, and i jost the main bolt for the clutch cover. (flew off during my last run). a few minor things: the carburetor keeps urinating on me and i smell like mixed gasoline now, also, im a little worried having something that hot, that close to my legs. honestly the whole thing is scary and exhilirating.

11. GAS-RIDEZ

GAS-RIDEZ Member

Another one for the DIY.

Attached Files:

12. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

is that carbon fiber?

13. GAS-RIDEZ

GAS-RIDEZ Member

Nop,that 3D vinyl carbon wrap

Attached Files:

14. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

Hahaha...I needed a good laugh! I'm still trying to plan my first build. I am thinking that Panama Jack bike Walmart sells looks like a heavy duty bike to bolt an engine too. It has the thickest spokes of any bike I've seen and the tires are like moped size. Nice old school look to it but I think if I did the build I would wind up painting the engine and bike all over and pinstripping it. Maybe even throw in a little nose art airbrushing on the tank.

15. keith217

keith217 New Member

LOL. Looks like you got it to work nicely. Hows the walmart bike holding up? Any problems so far?

16. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

@info: thick spokes will be very hard to bolt the sprocket on.
    @keith: technically, i got it running, but the chain comes off so readily, it takes all day to get it started,and it wont stay for more than a minute, is my record, stil working on the tensioner. i think the problem is mostly my bike, the tubes are flattened so the tensioner wants to sit on the flat part, but that derails the chain... also on my last run it broke off the bolt that holds the clutch plate on, so i gotta replace that. otherwise it jjust nneeds a little tweaking. easiest thing to start tthough. choke isnt really necessary even.

17. GAS-RIDEZ

GAS-RIDEZ Member

Until now welding the frame was the largest modification,the rest has been improved.

Attached Files:

18. keith217

keith217 New Member

Nice. At least the bike looks good. The little carbon fiber wraps are a nice touch.

19. GAS-RIDEZ

GAS-RIDEZ Member

Thank's

20. an1m3n00b

an1m3n00b New Member

im getting very close to giving up on this build. im having the hardest time with the chain. i just dont think this kit fits on this bike. im not sure if i should sell it. i really dont want to put anymore money into it. honestly, unless you really really want a moped or like tinkering with stuff, i would recommend getting a china scoot. you wont save any money with this kit.