Frame-Mounting onto a 700cc Schwinn Tourist

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by icebox, Mar 24, 2013.

1. icebox

icebox New Member

Hello All,

I am attempting to mount a 66/80cc motor to a 700cc Schwinn Tourist bike. My issue is, as you can see with the pictures, the lower arm on the V-frame is nearly 2" at its widest point (approx 1 7/8" as best I can tell without a micrometer). It is also not circular in diameter, but more oblong (narrowing towards the top). The forward motor mount holes on the motor are only about 1 11/16" apart, from center of holes.

I've been searching the forum and looking through various threads on unique mounts for their builds. While I've seen some very awesome designs, I am not quite sure how to approach this build, given the unique shape of the tube I'm mounting this on.

20130324111442.jpg

20130324111603.jpg

20130324111640.jpg

Any thoughts? Is there a pre-made adapter someone is using that would work in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all.

2. jefuchs

jefuchs Member

3. icebox

icebox New Member

Thanks for the info. Given the description of the product, which doesn't sound too clear to me, do they do the custom drilling for the U-bolt to mount plate or Engine to mount plate? I thought that 90% of the 66/80cc motors had a pretty standard design. Thanks again for the help.

If I were to skip the large-mount idea, what bike would you recommend to put this motor on? Are there any models with a 1" frame being made anymore?

4. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

I'd skip the aluminum frame and get something made of steel. Don't need a frame failure at 20+ mph. Look on Craigslist or shop yard sales for deals. Sometimes a neighbor is willing to give away a bike.

Good Luck,

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

5. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Double on what Blue said, I saw the AL sticker and thought I'd chime in.If you still end up going that route (after finding a steel-framed bike) check out " geebt48cc" bike, great in frame build on a fast road bike.

6. icebox

icebox New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Been looking into getting another bike for the build. Hard to find a bike with a sub-2" lower arm on it. Been looking on Craigslist for an older road-bike style. Not having too much luck though.