Friction drive with the clutch

Well, I don't know if it's the different position of the exhaust and lack of transmission/chain noise but my newer TLE43 friction is whisper quiet. Whisper quiet not even comparing it to the one on my Nuvinci. It's so quiet I can hear other sounds perfectly with the purring of the engine in the background and it only gets kinda loud when I wind the thing out to 30+. 25 and below its incredibly quiet. It does have some visual changes compared to the older TLE43 so I'm figuring they improved on design.

Not in my experience. Can't speak about the Tanaka but I have a Robin and a Mitsu and there is no comparison, the Robin is the quieter of the two.

I second Happy Valey's observation. The Sub is quieter, especially at idle.

And my red/black Mits with tuned pipe is quieter than the newer Mits with stock muffler. On my twin-engined bike, I hear both Mits engines running and idling simultaneously.

5-7
To hijack this thread just as little further, I'd be interested in knowing more about that tuned pipe you speak of for the Mits. Link? thanx.

Last edited:
This one, with silencer. However, the mounting bracket needs to be removed to clear the top of the engine and the friction drive housing. And the exhaust manifold's holes need reaming to fit.

ADA Series 1 Chrome Rev Pipe - used by National and World Go-ped racing champions! Designed for midrange to top speed - adds 3-5 MPH top speed. Spring mounted, center bleed chamber. Fits Sport / X-Ped / Super X-Ped / Liquimatic / Bigfoot / Super Bigfoot / Go-Quad / Super Go-Quad / Homebuilders Kit. Does not fit GSR25 / GSR26R / GSR29R. Fits Zenoah G23LH / G2D / G230RC / G260RC engines. Also fits Chung Yang CY23RC / CY26RC / CY27RC / CY29RC / GP290 engines. Save $10 when purchasing a pipe and silencer together!

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product212.html

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product424.html

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product772.html

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend bought one of those ADA pipes (tho it was a different one for a different CY motor)... but his added low-end & midrange speed. I figured all those ADA pipes woulda done the same.

to bring this back to topic- friction drives are really easy to make and use....

I used the clutch on my craftsman until I fubar'd it. The larger OLDER weed wackers have much sturdier clutches. THe clutch on the Ryobi I have was caro- I tossed it.

Instead I made a "gravity" clutch, where I lift the engine up and down on the tire with a break lever and use a door spring to hole the engine to the tire. Works slick. I have a 1.5 inch drive spindle covered with JBWeld and sand mixed together. I can get a flat no pedal speed of 19mph and an easy 21 or 22 with pedaling. HOWEVER on the down hills it can power me to 30+mph. scary fast on my cheap bike.

I built a simple frame out of aluminum angle and hung the engine off the side. works well for me.

Anyway, I put a bad paint diagram of how my pulley and brake cable system work for the gravity clutch and a coupl of pictures of the bike. The engine only weighs 4 or 5 pounds so the balance of the bike isn't as bad as you'd expect.

Attachments

• DIAGRA~1.jpg
    DIAGRA~1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_6057.JPG
    IMG_6057.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_3639.JPG
    IMG_3639.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 408
Back