Full suspension bikes compatible with happytime motor/SBP shift kit

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by cvxdes, Nov 30, 2008.

1. cvxdes

cvxdes New Member

I've been scouring the internet, looking for frames with full suspension, that I can put a happytime motor in. So far, I've found these:
    GT LTS
    GT RTS
    Marin F.R.S.
    Giant XtC NRS

There were a few bikes that were extremely unpopular, so I didn't bother to list them.

Anyways, if anybody could contribute to the list, I'm searching for a good frame. I thought I'd just make it public knowledge, so if anybody else is looking, they could find it easier. The more frames to search for, the easier it's going to be for me to find. I'm planning a nice build with the SBP shift kit and a 80cc happytime, it's going to be great. It's a good winter project.

2. FWIW - Pipelyne makes the frame Easy Rider has on his build (the second one)...They will do one offs but frame is made specifically for the Morini engine BUT one could probably adapt it to HT use.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

PS - Good thread since I was only aware of the GT bikes and Pipelyne....

3. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Here are some more
    Manitou FS 1993
    2006 Mountain Cannondale Scalpel 2000
    I also saw a Specialized FS frame that will work but I can't remember the model.

4. cvxdes

cvxdes New Member

Some more I dug up
    Scott Genius mc10
    GT I-Drive 6.0

I'm going to go pick up my GT LTS on Saturday, but for some reason I'm still looking.

5. Dante

Dante New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  6. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

These will not work.
    Scott Genius mc10
    GT I-Drive 6.0
    Giant XtC NRS
    Either not enough room for an engine or the suspension is in the way.

Added photos of the good ones besides the one mentioned above.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
  7. LocustsOfSteel

LocustsOfSteel New Member

This is a great idea, and i hope it comes to completion.
    My bike hurts my a$$ when i ride offroad and over bumpy roads, so this would be a good next build for me.
    Has anyone completed a full suspension bike with a shifter kit as of yet?

8. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Here is one.

Attached Files:

9. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

NICE BIKES!!! Where do you buy a full suspension bike like these?

10. LocustsOfSteel

LocustsOfSteel New Member

No way... WOW!
    Nice one Ghost, is that yours?

11. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I've searched for AGES & can't find one in Oz......elusive critters.

12. Troph

Troph New Member

Anyone know how much rear travel the marin or the manitou have? the design doesnt look like you would get much especially after a jackshaft is put behind the seat post.

Edit: I guess it does hing at the same point as the others but it just looks like an inferior design to me. excellent Thread too.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  13. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Wanted to bring this back to the top of the list. Might help with my next build if I can locate one reasonably priced!

14. cvxdes

cvxdes New Member

If you're looking for a GT LTS, I got one. I was getting it all nice to install the kit.. and then I just bought my first car. This is going to have to be a project for sometime down the line. Anyways, it's got custom CNC machined shock mounts in the back to fit an upgraded shock. There's an air shock in there now, but it leaks. Also have some rockshock dart forks on the front, but I never bothered getting the brakes hooked up. Let me know if you're interested.

15. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

All the GT LTS bikes I can find in hawaii are in the $1k range :( Way over my cheap budget! I want to build an off-roader next, but might just end up with a cheap dirt bike instead :)

16. Kent CS full suspension

My son and I built one on this bike. Worked well but it needed autotensioner on chainring chain as there is no room to move the motor up and down to adjust it. This bike rides like a motor cycle. projectfsjs1.jpg fsjs2.jpg :grin5:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  17. JTinFL

JTinFL Member

Auto Tensioner

Very interested in the tensioner you fabricated.Would you mind giving me some help on how to make.Looks simple but effective.Just finished my first bike with shift kit.
    Thanks

18. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  19. I took the "HT kit" tensioner. cut off the part that goes around the frame. made the slot alittle longer. Trimed one side so the slotted bar would fit on to the bottom clamp of the SBP sift kit. Then I welded the piece I cut off back on to the sloted piece to make the pivot point for the swing arm. It adjusts in and out, The arm was made from1 1/2 3/16 strap. Spring is attached by drilling a small hole in tensioner swingarm and one in the SBP kit right side bearing plate. Simple to do if you weld and have a Dremel tool.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  20. JTinFL

JTinFL Member

Thanks guys for ideas on tensioners.That's was so great about this forum.People such as yourselves sharing ideas collectively.Sure amounts to a wealth of knowledge for everyone.And the best part is a lot of these ideas are carried out with what's on hand and a lot of ingenuity.