Heavy Duty Freewheel Axle

Discussion in 'Dealer Reviews' started by Molotov256, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Molotov256

Molotov256 Member

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

The heavy duty axle freewheel kit would most likely be used when a jack shaft kit is installed. Since the power is transfered from the engine drive gear through the jack shaft to the jack shaft sprocket (front sprocket attached to the axle). There would definitely be more torque, wear and tear on it, hence the option for both a standard and heavy duty, much like using cheap Chinese hardware and a grade 8.8). As far as a heavy duty axle and sprocket on a non jack shaft bike I feel is a waste of both time and money. Out of the millions, no billions of bikes sold from the cheapest to the most many have you seen that either the axle and or the front sprocket failed. My son has 3000+ miles on his bike (only form of transportation for the past 15 years), and has never had a issue with the stock sprockets. Ridden from Orlando, FL to Lawrenceville, GA in 11 days. I plan on installing a jack shaft kit sometime this year and will most likely use the heavy duty axle and sprocket. I'm NOT looking for increased speed, I'm wanting to cut the RPM's down at the same speed.

Now I have a question, with a jack shaft installed do you have a option of peddle starting and pull rope starting, or just pull rope start?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  3. tjs323626

tjs323626 Member Heavy Duty Freewheel Axle
    This is a replacement for the rag mount sprocket supplied with the cg kits that so many of us are using. This kit is installed into the rim of your choice by you or your local bike shop. you supply the cassett sprockets for the right side and this kit supplies a sprocket on the left for the engine to drive.
  4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

OK got ya. They make a standard and heavy duty "crankshaft" and sprocket also...correct?.. and in that kit why is a pull start (if that is what I see) included???
  5. Molotov256

Molotov256 Member

Thanks to Al and TJ... I was picturing a jackshaft application at first, too, but then I saw the big ol' drive sprocket and thought I must be on the wrong track.

Still, a replacement for the rag mount drive sprocket is a plus in my book, although that one doesn't look like it'd be on par with the clamshell style mounts some of the other vendors sell like these:

Clamshell Sprocket Adapter

As for the heavy axles, I've never had a rear axle fail (although I've ruined my share of rear wheels with chain tensioners through spokes and whatnot). I have had a front axle fail at full throttle, though, and that ended in a pretty bad superman-style-faceplant wreck, and strong axles always get my attention ever since. +1 for helmets, +2 for full face helmets.

Anyhow, I'm off on a tangent there... What I was really curious about are the flywheel and no flywheel options. appears to be selling a drive sprocket with a flywheel, although their product descriptions are atrocious and hardly describe the product at all. If they really are putting a flywheel on the drive sprocket, how does it work and what is it for? I guess I could roll the bike backwards without disengaging the clutch, but that's not too much help as far as I can tell. As a matter of fact, that would be a distinct disadvantage on a steep uphill grade. :grin5: Surely I'm missing something here.

lol... I was wondering the same thing. That cover must be for something else, because why would a pull start cover come with an axle and drive sprocket kit? Maybe somebody just took a picture of a bunch of random **** they had in the shop and posted it on the website?
  6. tjs323626

tjs323626 Member

The freewheel is useful to reduce the drag of the chain and sprockets moving when the engine isn't driving the bike. The unit without freewheel is used for engines without a pull start so that bump starting is used.
  7. Molotov256

Molotov256 Member

Ah... I've never used a pull start engine before, so I guess that's why I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the freewheel. I still don't totally get it, though... if it freewheels when the bike is rolling FWD, how could the chain drive the sprocket without it freewheeling?
  8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I use a freewheel hub on my trike. It makes the motor drive and the pedal drive totally independent. Bump starting is impossible with a left side freewheel. I have electric start.
  9. Molotov256

Molotov256 Member

Ohhhh... I get it now. That actually sounds pretty cool... do you still need to use the clutch?
  10. Grubee HD axle kit

I've been using the HD free wheel version for about 9 months. I like it.
    Check out my previous posts
  11. loquin

loquin Active Member

Yes. When you want to stop.

If you're coasting, with the bike going faster than the motor would drive it, there's virtually no drag. so, you can coast down hill with the motor at an idle (no engine braking.) It also means that you won't have the possibility of wrecking a two-stroke engine by having it run at high speeds without lubrication...

as you bring the engine RPM up to the point where the chain will be moving faster than the teeth of the rear sprocket, the pawls inside the freewheel 'catch' and you start to accelerate.

BTW. If you want a really heavy duty freewheel hub, take a look at Staton's. When I was talking to the Wheelmaster (when he built my front hub) he said that Staton's rear hub was the toughest bicycle hub that he had ever worked with.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  12. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Lou, your link didn't take me to a freewheel hub by Staton. I am interested, I burned the bearings in my Grubee version after 3000 miles. I replaced the bearings, and bought some SKF's that will fit so I'll be ready the next time, but I'm interested.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  13. loquin

loquin Active Member

Sorry about that, Van. I updated the link. He makes the hubs in 28 hole through 48 hole, 12 or 14 gage. Here's the link for the 14 gage, 32 hole hub that shows a freewheel mounted. (the photo's slightly fuzzy, though...)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Thank you Lou. It looks like that freewheel has a 22t sprocket, I'm running a 24? maybe 26, because that's the lowest I could go with the Grubee because of clearance issues. And, though I've had some difficulty with Staton's service, their quality has always been top notch. This may get me back into dealing with them. Thank you.
  15. loquin

loquin Active Member

Well, since the hub has the 1-3/8, 24 tpi LH threads, your freewheel should thread on...
  16. Ra1977

Ra1977 New Member

Heck yeah that's what Im Rollin with.