gear oil in Staton gearbox ?

DetonatorTuning

Local time
8:52 AM
the gear box comes with grease which in many if not most cases is just fine, in others somrhing else might be desired.

who is using gear oil in their Staton box, how much, with or as a replacement for the grease ?

thanks,
steve

One tube of Statons gear box grease + 1-1 1/2 oz 90 weight gear oil. So far no clutch issues but a small bead of lube around the output shaft. I also sealed the box with RTV to prevent " weeping".

thanks kerf, since i 'm running verticle i don't see much chance of clutch issues, but i am kind of concerned about the output shaft.

this lube issue may could force me back to horiz. configuration, we'll see.

steve

no one else, many, many Staton owners and 1 guy is using supplimental or full replacement gear oil for lube ?

talk to me guys, i'm getting tired of taking chances !!

thanks,
steve

Face it Steve, we're alone here.

i say "heffer hempballs".

this place is spoiling with people that chant "Staton" in every thread they can.

i have a Staton now too, the product is VERY well made and will surely last a LONG time but, surely more people look to optimise and improve the functionality of even what they consider to be the best of systems ?

steve

Hey Steve
Do you want to elaborate on your earlier coment of hating your new staton chain drive?
I guess that you didn't get to ride it for long before you blew your motor though
Thanks

yes, thanks for reminding me.

i sat here soon after that and wrote an explanation much like the correction i wrote about "oil" being involved in my engine failure and the 'clutch drum" comment that caused such uproar, but appearantly i never pushed submit.

as usual, i was hurrying to get the initial configuation together. a bad habit.

i had rushed installing the new clutch drum and overloaded the shaft bearings. i had made a rushed attempt to salvage my original motormounts and not achieved a nearly close enough chain line. i was using a brand new chain that stretched like crazy. all this made a ton of noise AND my engine was running destructively lean and down on topend power.

i've corrected all this and will reassemble my engine with the stock exhaust on Monday. i've gotten some good tips on smoothing the chain and gear box operation and am working my way thru them. in the end i'll have a very reliable setup, it remains to be seen if it will ever be as fast, smooth and quiet as the GEBE was.

i still have my original dual belt jackshaft plans i can work on if i decide to.

steve

I moved over from grease to just plain engine oil. I did use gear box oil but did notice a slight power loss. I tried gasket goo but suffered small leaks so I went and made my own gaskets that work just fine now. I also added a breather vent as my Honda 50 puts a lot of heat into the gear box.

I use only 100ml of oil and find it sprays around and coats all the gears.

Alex

thanks for the reply, as you see this isn't the fastest paced thread on the forum LOL

i'll take the engine oil into consideration, i'm using the gear box mounted in a verticle position so have to be careful of how thin of stuff i put in there and how deep i fill it. i don't know if the output shaft grease seals will hold it in there esp. when it's just sitting.

steve

Back