GEBE: First install, first ride, loves and hates

30+ day review

Still breakin-er in. Some things I'd change or do differently. What do you guys think... Who leaves the Golden Eagle plastic shroud / fender off? Mine cracked already. Only advantage to leaving on may be riding through mud and water to keep my back dry.:) But make sure to clean under there as dirt and mud collect around the gearing. I'm thinking about removing it all together.
In hind site I should have put street tires on my Schwinn. I purchased heavy kevlar knobby tires but most of my riding has been on streets. I'm sure the tires are creating tons of drag. Might switch em come spring time.
Wish I purchased the 40cc Tanaka instead of the 33cc......more torque the better around here. Don't think I'll be taking the bike on any off-road "trails".
#11 gear offers more torque but would be worthless on a " trail" IMO. maybe an 8 tooth gear? What is the smallest / lowest gear I can fit on my Tanaka 33cc shaft? The smallest GEBE offers?
A true trail bike would require a different system IMO. Overall I'm having a great time on the bike.........it is what it is.

I leave my shroud/cover off. The first one broke right away.....they sent a replacement (under warranty with $7 shipping charge) and it doesn't fit. I would need to cut it out to make it fit. I don't ride in the rain so ....... My belt has been wearing on the inside so at closer inspection I noticed it was slightly rubbing on my knobby MB tires so I cut the knobs back so it clears now. Will see when it warms up and I can ride again if that fixed it. -10 below zero here tonight with a couple inches of snow on the ground and 3-4 more inches coming in the nest couple days. miserable place to be in the winter...North Dakota. I never winterized it. I'm just gonna start it every couple of weeks and maybe a quick spin around the block to keep her loosened up.
Lars

guess there must have been a run of cracked covers...dennis mentioned having the mold thickened around the mounting area. i used a 4" metal strap (bent to lend more support) and a rubber washer underneath, used a rubber washer with a metal one up top. the wingnut finally vibrated off one night, i use a nylock now. you may ask wavygravy to testify that my system is stealth to the max, not a rattle anywhere :)

i like the 32...i'm 500 miles into it and am dying to get the 14 tooth gear on there. i think if i put the 12 on, i'd be really surprised by the pulling power, but bored to tears by 26mph :LOL:

BTB': i've followed this thread almost parallel with my own, it's been a great read :cool:

Hi Larymor, I think I may have the same knobbies you have. The knobs stick out really far on the sides. I cut them back with a pruning shears and now have about a 1/4" clearance. My belt was also running on the outside edge of the drive pulley. An ss/spring washer on the engine side of the gear did wonders. It runs true on the gear and does not touch the tire. I also found that if you have a strap type carrier on your car, just mount the bike on it, start the engine and ease the throttle up. Easy to see if the tire wobbles, the gear is in alignment, you can listen to the wheel bearings and adjust the spokes and fix other sqweaks and rattles. You can rev up the engine and with a bit of ingenuity actually balance the wheel. Get all of this stuff right and check it all whenever you put it on your car and the whole bike will seem to operate smoother.

Augi, I put a rubber gromet in the hole, an ss washer on the top and will take your advice and put a nylock nut on it also. I am going to order the Tanaka 40 as soon as I can contact GEBE ( Did not answer the phone today) and switch it for the R/S 35. If it gives me enough torque I will leave it that way. If not, the 35 will go above the front wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I rubber washered both sides of the plastic cover. It doesn't rattle at all, just seems to rotate out of position slightly due to the crack. I'd also like to take some travel out of the throttle cable. It appears that the throttle lever hits the gear shifter at prevents max throttle sometimes. I slide the clip around a bit to find free travel........a pain in the *ss. Is an adjustment as easy as loosening the engine throttle cable screw and pulling the cable tighter?
Also ran out of gas one mile before my house. It was a bear to pedal the rig home! Don't know if I want to attempt an elaborate fuel set-up like AUGIE or buy an MSR bottle.......most likely the latter.
Plans this week.......bought some wire loom to wrap the kill wire and throttle cable from rubbing against the threads ( if I remove the cover) No plans to winterize as I intend to get out there on days above 30*F. :eek:

Knobs and Covers

I have removed the engine and hung bike up for season, but all your comments have given me an idea for next year.

If the cover does not fail, maybe I will make a mold and epoxy some glass cloth to the inside. If it fails before I get around to it, will send to GEBE for thicker new one ...

Did I forgot to mention that I also used a large file and sander to remove any edge that might contact the engine case etc, if the cover twists?

I did use a couple of SS washers and external edged lock washers, Pliobonded to the cover, but it still tends to move a bit and I think one washer disappeared. Epoxy will be next step.

I don't see why GEBE can't include a cover made of the same type of plastic used on the engine air filter cover etc. something less brittle and more ply.
Honestly I don't think a new cover is worth the $7 shipping IMO. They should charge actual shipping ( $2-3) and not make a profit replacing a defective or under-engineered piece.....just my 2 cents.

BTB: Regarding Your T-3300

Heck, if you prefer the T-4400 just sell the T-3300 here or on eBay, as I sold the little Honda 25. Tanakas are somewhat scarce. Reasonable price works. (I bought new kit and sold with mild-use engine that was very clean etc. Broke even, every one happy.)

It will sell easily.

Get a GEBE wheel and some dual use tires, like Specialized Armadillos, and you will be set for fun anywhere, up or down, rough or smooth. Maybe add a small silicone type muffler for sanity. So easy with the GEBE system.

Honestly I don't think a new cover is worth the $7 shipping IMO. They should charge actual shipping ( $2-3) and not make a profit replacing a defective or under-engineered piece.....just my 2 cents.

BTB.....exactly!

Back