Generator idea.

Could a bicycle tire spin an automotive alternator fast enough to produce 12 Volts?

(the voltages is dependent on the speed, isn't it? I think it is)

I also suspect that if you could get the setup to produce any real power, then it would use up somewhere around half of your engine's power to do it.

But I'm being a bit of a nay-sayer. Sorry. I don't really know that these objections hold water. I only think they might be trouble.

someone will come along who really knows.

A healthy auto alternator is supposed to put out 14.5 volts continously. AS speed increases or decreases the voltage reg. keeps it in check at 14.5 volts. When a car is at idle in gear (auto trans) it still puts out 14.5 volts. Turn on all accesories (lights,air,etc.) and the reg. compensates to keep 14.5 so with that being said I believe that one could run an ault. off the rear wheel with the right gearing to keep it spinning at a 600 RPM min. The only problem I can see is it will eat up too much power from the motor to drive the ault....POPS

Word of caution, As tempting as it may be!!! I knew this idiot once that connected a motor to a dremel tool inorder to see what kind of voltage it would throw back under high speed. The idiot held the motor in one hand and the dremel in the other. Hand holding dremel sliped and switched dremel to highest setting causing motor to explode. I had parts of the can from the motor stuck in my cieling tile!!! My hand was uncut but numb for a week!

I apologize. I keep forgetting about the frame mount guys. I have a trimmer engine, and was thinking along those lines. Mounting it through the plastic cover.

Giles, how about making some sort of sliding coupler, and mounting it direct drive through the cover?

Last edited:
Any car alternator is really an overkill powerwise,it will put out 14.5 V at 900 rpm or so and deliver 25 Amps or more, easy.They are quite heavy ,15 lbs or so and need to be operated connected to a 12V battery.The idle drain is probably not more than .05/.1 HP.If a smaller motorcycle type alternator could be found,that would be a much better choice,however these are usually not available as self-contained units but are an integral part of the crankshaft assembly to the best of my knowledge.

A Harley generator will work for this, but priced at about $139. and up it is cost prohibitive for me right now, but thats the way I will eventually go. Its 12v and will run all the lights and elec. gizmos you can think of.:(

I was looking at the possibilty of running two batteries and charging them while ridding, off of the alternator, (free power)!

Back