Genesis 29, OK to mount a motor?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TheJimGuy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TheJimGuy

TheJimGuy New Member

In short: I want to use a Genesis 29" for my bike build. I have some that are telling me that you don't want an alluminium frame due to the heat and stress. True or overly worried? What do I need to watch out for? What is reccommended for the front tube to attach the motor mount?
    (yes, I have read all about fender issues and will take all needed precautionary upgrade steps)?

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

First bike... a Aluminum frame
    [​IMG]
    But was also my LAST Aluminum frame engine mounted bike.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. TheJimGuy

TheJimGuy New Member

I take it that is a no.

Kind of hard to argue with a picture like that. Guess the Schwinn Clairmont it will be then.
    Thank you for making my decision so easy.

4. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

Doesn't sound like you need any more convincing to stay away from aluminum, but my first bike was aluminum and the frame cracked around 300 miles. Luckily I discovered the crack while I was at home.

Stay away from aluminum unless you are talking about a FREAKISHLY HIGH QUALITY TOP END BIKE. Even then, I would rethink aluminum. It's light but it's brittle.

5. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

its not that aluminum is brittle its softer than steel
    its that aluminum work hardens then gets stress cracks then goes SNAP..
    without much warning.
    This is also why you do not see springs made out of aluminum

6. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

well... it ACTS more brittle... the vibrations from the motors is more likely to make an aluminum frame crack than a steel frame crack-- as long as you are comparing bikes within similar price ranges.

7. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

also why i wouldn't use carbon fiber on a motorized bike
    IMHO the vibrations would tear it apart in a hurry

8. richirich1113

richirich1113 Member

Check out my Genesis

Here are some pictures of my Genesis. I could'nt be happier with it. The firrst pictures are with my old exhaust, the last are with a new pipe i fabricated. I think the bike is solid, it feels solid riding. As far as it cracking any bike can crack. Depends on who or what welded it i think. I ride the bike hard, it does not like to go slow. The only thing is that it is tight behind the carb so youll have to mcgyver a air filter.
    Aluminum or steel really it would just be up to choice but what if the guy welding the last steel frame on a friday was having a bad day......

Attached Files:

9. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

it's fact that aluminum work hardens and then snaps.... why do you think jet airliners have so many inspections and are retired after being flown a certian amount of hours

before every ride you should be checking the bikes frame for cracks in the paint...aka stress cracks thats the start of the frame failing before it snaps in half

10. recesslife

recesslife New Member

Genesis 29

Just joined this site after researching this Discussion last week. As it turns out, I'm in Jacksonville as well. How did the motor work on the aluminum frame? I'm about to do it as well.

11. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

You will need a special rear sprocket if you use the Genesis 29.....due to spoke pattern....aslo make sure the chain stay part of the frame is straight and doesn't curve inward...if it does chain will not clear...

12. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I like the idea of a 29er. Having a big wheel that will roll over anything is a huge advantage! And significantly higher top speed!

13. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I have built on many aluminum frames and don't have problems, a lot of it has to do with how you mount your engine I suspect.

No issues installing a 48cc in this Genisis 29er other than using an offset Z intake.
    It has a nearly a vertical seat post which is awkward but you have to always get your rear mount square to the post and work from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is a sickBikeParts front mount.

14. TheJimGuy

TheJimGuy New Member

Opted for a steel Schwinn. The chances of a breakage at 30mph was not worth the worry. Am going to put on a jack-shaft to compensate for the power band. Want a mid range engine at cruising speed.
    Have 1800 mileson the bike so far.

15. FrenchFRI3S

FrenchFRI3S New Member

That's funny, I had the Onyx Genesis 29er and that frame did hold up but the rear forks started making there way more left than they should have :sweatdrop: Luckily that didn't go snap. Now I'm using a Mexican Rand Mountain bike (steel) with suspension forks up front and springer seat. Made for a nicer ride too.:cool:

Edit:
    On another note I'm forced to lean my bike on things due to the height increase of the front end. Any useful kickstand suggestions would be thoughtful!