Good or bad Idea?

Joshwa

Local time
4:35 AM
So would it be possible to give the phantom 85 boost. Like by making a electric motor powered turbo.
Could the cylinder even withstand that? Would it just explode or over heat and seize? Run away maybe?
I have a 3d printer and could 3d print most of the parts and the motor can be powered by the magneto. I just don't know if its worth the time to design it if it's just going to kill the engine and I don't want a new hole in my leg.

If I'm understanding what your describing
Can't steal power from the mag It'll take the power needed for spark

The Phantom already is a hot running engine. Boosting one is probably not a great idea.
What if I were to braze in/on cooling line using brass tubes in between the cooling fins and set up a motorcycle radiator and power it all from a secondary mag/ coil. Even if the phantom can't handle boost it might be something I'll have to look in to as I often ride it at its redline most of the time but I've never seen it done.

What if I were to braze in/on cooling line using brass tubes in between the cooling fins and set up a motorcycle radiator and power it all from a secondary mag/ coil. Even if the phantom can't handle boost it might be something I'll have to look in to as I often ride it at its redline most of the time but I've never seen it done.
The only success ive seen that help cooling on these is a cooling head. The phantom however is a solid jug and you cannot add a better cooling head. People have made water cooled heads with success, but again the 1 piece jug. Rumor has it that the phantom V4 will be a 2 piece jug

The only success ive seen that help cooling on these is a cooling head. The phantom however is a solid jug and you cannot add a better cooling head. People have made water cooled heads with success, but again the 1 piece jug. Rumor has it that the phantom V4 will be a 2 piece jug
That's what I'm waiting on. A P85 with removable cylinder head.

Two strokes don't boost very well unless it uses valves like detroit diesel, in which case the boost is necessary to function.

The topic of a tuned expansion chamber for the p85 has been thoroughly discussed and the consensus was that the stock clutch cannot take the abuse, and would require a whole new bottom end to make one that does.

I do think the idea of a fan driven off a jackshaft has some merit. It wouldn't require too much work beyond the mounting of the jackshaft and the fan. The biggest problem would be making a chamber to accurately direct the air to the cylinder without causing trouble with regular air cooling.

Jayraye has tested an air scoop and I think the idea has real legs if made to funnel a larger area.

Aerodynamics is largely ignored in motorized bike communities for raw power. I've heard that aerodynamic drag becomes significant above 25kph when it comes to human power.

Professional cyclists are chasing marginal weight and aero savings because even the best of the best can't put out more than a half horse consistently. It's easy to spoof measuring tools but some pros are supposedly able to put down 2 hp for very very brief periods.

If you can comfortably get a low position through a lot of trial and error in changing things like stem length, seat position up and down, fore and aft, and handle bars, the savings are immediately noticable. I'm not recommending adopting a fully horizontal position but going from a fully upright position to a comfy place in the middle will be easier than modifying the engine.

I think the easy changes should be tried first before going for the extreme margins.

Back