harbor freight bmp

berdss Are you trying to put a bike together cheaply or something you will use everyday for alternate transportation. The chinese engines like the ones at Monster scooter (with electric start for $129) or the Hua Sheng 142-f-gen (has a generator built in) would be nice choice for a good cheap engine. If you are going to use this as primary transportation, then you might want to look at the Tanaka 40cc 2-stroke or some other well made Japanese engine. (and yes I have a Tanaka PF-4000 40cc engine that's a blast, Thanks Porkchop ! LOL)

What size spacers and bolts did you use with the waterpump engine? Also was it a problem that the clutches don't stick out as much?

I bought the waterpump engine and bought the clutch parts. Do I have to put thread lock on the clutch screws?

Spacer and Bolt Length

Don't listen to Andy ! He knows nothing ! Hee ! Hee ! Just poking fun at him. He's one of my buddies. My auger engine did not have thread locker on them and they still don't. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt though. As far as what size spacers and bolt length, (the one used for connecting the engine to the channel) I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure they were all 5mm shorter than what comes with BMP's kit. There's just a little bit of difference between the engine that comes on their pump vs. the auger. If you use the bolts that come standard with BMP's kit, they will end up hitting the fly wheel. I don't remember the spacers, but probably the same scenario. You need only 4 bolts and spacers. They're pretty cheap at Lowe's. I don't have the pump engine anymore, so I can't check all that stuff for exact dimensions. I do know it was an easy and inexpensive conversion. No way would I buy the auger for the price just for the engine. You can get the same engine from various vendors with the clutch already installed for about $130.00. If you go to BMP's web site and click on the engine info option, there is a least one vendor there that sells them. It's monster scooter. I thin the spacers that come with BMP's kit are 40mm in length. I'm pretty sure I used 35mm. Pay attention to the clutch. You want to get the clutch as far into the clutch drum as possible without it bottoming out. The auger engine was a direct bolt on. however I discovered only about 1/3 or 1/2 of the clutch was actually going into the drum. I ended up using shorter spacers and bolts just to get a little more clutch surface into the drum. Should give me a little longer lasting clutch. But then again, clutches are cheap, the mounting hardware is cheap. Tinker with it and make your best decision as far as what length bolts and spacer you want to use. I also think the pull starters are a weak link with these engines. They're less than $5.00 from HF and shipping is cheap too, but again, 6-8 weeks for shipping. I ordered 3 extra clutches and 4 extra pull starters. I found that the hard way and didn't ride with that engine for 8 weeks. Used my Honda GX35. Was glad to get my cheap China engine back due to the difference in the power. Anyway, I hope I made sense here. don't be scared. It's a simple task and inexpensive. If you need more help, get back in touch.

I am interested in this engine (Harbor Freight 50cc) and the Bike Motor Parts roller drive kit.
Will it work on a "10 speed" road bicycle with 27" tires (the raised center type or the good Cheng Shen cheapos) or fat 700c "touring" tires (Nashbar specials)? I want a light bike that is easy to store and that I can actually pedal 20mi if something goes wrong with the engine one day.

Probably so ! Look at BMP’s web site to determine for sure or not. They also have a few videos on you tube. You’ll have to search for them yourself. I don’t remember them per say. They shouldn’t be to hard to find. Give BMP a call. The man that owns, and /or operates the business is named James. He’s always seemed to have time for me. Everyone I know that has dealt with him has said the same thing about him. As far as the tire size you mentioned, I’m sure they’re kit would work, but those sizes are not ideal. The wider, smoother and flatter the tread pattern, the better grip (friction) you’ll get between the roller and the tire along with a longer lasting tire life. Also those skinny tires don’t make for a good, smooth ride. You can disengage the drive roller from the tire so you have no resistance while peddling. Just the extra 10 or 15 pounds or so added to your bike. Also, check the following link. You can get the same engine there for about $120.00 with the clutch already installed. As I said earlier in a previous post, you can get the same engines that come on the Harbor Freight pumps and augers from several different places. I think there might be more than one listed on BMP’s web site. You’ll have to look and see. Also another little note, one of my friends bought this engine from monsterscooter. Seems to me it does NOT come with a fuel tank. If that's the case, then a tank will probably be another 15 to 25 dollars. Be careful. If that's the case, then I'd definitely opt for the Harbor Freight water pump and deal with the clutch issue myself for the difference in money and the ease of installing the clutch it's self, if I could find one and find it when they're on sale for about $100.00. That pump, I understand has been discontinued. My local store still gets a few in here and there. I'm sure they're getting new old stock from their warehouse, and when they're gone, there'll be no more. Not from HF at least ! However there are several Japanese engines that will work, but there going to cost a bit more. But in the long run should last a good bit longer as well.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/49enwimapust.html

Last edited:
Back