Has anyone here ordered a Power King and liked it?

S

Stratocaster

I've mentioned this in another thread, but for me, the "Power King" engine kit is about 50% cheaper for me than the most recommended one, the Dax.

However, I've recently read disturbing reviews of the PK product.

But, conversely, these kits are all supposed to be approximately the same, so how different can they be, and in what ways?

I'm just wondering if anyone was satisfied with the PK kit, enough to recommend me getting it. If the PK kit is lacking in some ways, perhaps I could upgrade various parts?

Thanks Barret. I appreciate it. Guess, I'll eventually get the hang of the way forums work.

Pete

more off-topic...for the "i can turn a wrench, but i can't do a right-click to save my life" crowd (which is most of us) :LOL: :LOL:

i post "how to" tips about forums in the "forum help & suggestion box"...good stuff there for forum-newbies :)

Kits that are "cheaper" are not always the best nor cheaper.

I have cited differences in past postings.

Suffice it to say, for me at least, I do not wish to save $50 and then turn around and have to spend hours upon hours of engineering and fabricating new or better parts.

That was the case with one unknown manufacturer kit: Had to buy ($12 !) and fabricate a new clutch handle; the original was useless by design.
Same applied with the roller / tensioner. It sucked so bad that it posed a safety hazard and new ball bearing type was purchased (more cash - $10).

For crying out loud, if I value my time at $3/hr. and all I can eat at the snack bar (I still haven't found the snack-bar), then no problem !

If you value your time at $48 - $36 - $22 - $12 - or even $5 / hr., I simply do not see the savings?

If you just like to tinker on stuff for free, no problem, however.
(let me know - I have a whole load of stuff in need of repair)

Plus the frustration ! Especially on a first build that requires a time consuming learning curve at a time that you are horny to ride!

That is my 2 cents.

~DC~

well said, again.

upgrading can surely be more costly than the "savings"...but i do feel that if fairly priced there
is a market for the lower quality kits.

but i do feel that if fairly priced there
is a market for the lower quality kits.

Absolutely - It is called competition and it is what keeps the market price for all units somewhat reasonable for the time being. In that I agree.

Also, there are people who do not mind "tinkering" and find it a challenge to "put the puzzle together"; especially if it is missing pieces or fabrication of pieces is necessary. They absolutely love the challenge and live their whole life in that manner: Buying substandard equipment and making it work. It is an accomplishment, for them.

But, my point is that it is prohibitive to piece a jigsaw puzzle together that is missing pieces or more accurately, has the pieces but are not usable and one has to go to Tool Mart and buy a jigsaw and cutout his own pieces from his own purchased materials in order to complete said puzzle.

Me? If I pay for a kit (puzzle or anything), I want it to go together as described. Otherwise, it is somewhat a false advisement, I think.

The financial savings? Absolutely None. It cost more, actually! (still cannot find that all-you-can-eat snack-bar)
The only bargain you might get besides an excessive application of grief, is more fun and enjoyment from the accomplishment of expending labor to engineer and fabricate your own parts.

~DC~ :cool:

Please do not misread what I have written.

All these kits work.
They ALL require some "tinkering" to get them to work.

It is just some require "less" tinkering than others.

It is a personal tolerance thing.
If someone has a great tolerance to custom fitting parts, then great - They saved $50.

I am not bad mouthing any one unit or supplier. I was only making a personal experience known to all who can utilize such as a benchmark to judge their own tolerance to various kits available on Fleebay and the Internet.

I hope that this will help,
~DC~

:)

well it is a thing to know that i get my engines from jhon up ther in frost back country but so dose roland and god knows who else cheap yes but mind you

some are great some need work and some just dont work its like that in any thing not every thing is going to be the same i have a guy here in TX

who has like and i really mean like 5000+mil on his bike never had a problem
and then i got one starit from the box it had a problem but keep in mind if there is a rating of 1 out of a hundred are bad thats good

but we dont know what there rating is but it just happens i have five to sell

here in tx that is not here on the fourm (yes augi i know you are reading)

but its just luck with these things but mind you i have worked on some king motor ones and let me tell you thoses kits are built to last

Well, I bought a Power King. It is my only experience with such a thing. I had very little trouble setting it up, and the tinkering I do is not out of necessity. I did have to replace the spark plug wire. The price was good compared to others advertised, and I paid no shipping. Service was good. It now has around 500 miles on it. MPG not as good as I expected. over all I give it a thumbs up.

Strato

I don't know much about either kit other than I just received a DAX kit and it seems worth what I paid for it. I have read that his kits are built to his specifications which include two extra holes in the connecting rod (better lubing). And, supposedly the motors also have roller bearings on the rod. That should add HP, mileage and how long the engine lasts.

A side note... In the 70s I bought a Honda 600 car... Yea it had a 600cc twin cyl motorcycle engine! All the guys I worked with said they had heard that the engines blew up in "_____" (enter any number between 20,000 and 50,000) miles... I ran it up to 88,000 miles and then gave it to a friend who, 10 years later had it up to 150,000 miles... on the same engine!

How does this relate??? I never drove it over 55mph (about the speed when the engine started to make a knocking noise) and the engine had roller bearings on the crank and rods...

My brother-in-law has a Power King engine. Its an ok engine compared to my Dax and I've ridden it a bunch before I got the Dax.

The clutch lever didn't fit and work as it should have and the chain roller is not bearing. Gas tank was scratched in shipping and throttle cable needed tweaking to work with the new style throttle.

Any cost savings was wiped out once these parts were replaced.

Back