Help me understand where I went wrong?

Well then, looks like I'm going to unplug my killswitch and get the varnish off my last new magneto and try again. Hopefully this whole time it's been the killswitch, I also put some electrical tape around the white wire to insure it's not touching any metal. I guess I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Could it be my rotor? I didn't think so. I could post pictures if needed.

So far a new magneto is running fine without the killswitch, a few questions though... Is turning the petcock off in order to stop the bike okay? anything wrong with that? Can I ride in wet weather without silicone sealant?'

there's nothing wrong with turning the petcock off to kill it but I imagine it would take a while to use up whatever is in the fuel line. if you don't want to kill the spark for whatever reason the next quickest way is probably to starve it for air, though that may cause a situation where there's too much gas in the engine and it becomes difficult to start

while the engine is idling you can just let the clutch out to kill the engine.
but if the engine has a problem and it idles really high that becomes harder to do and it is best to have a kill switch.

Turning the bike off with the fuel petcock is a good way to drain the fuel from your carb but is "no fuel in the carb" healthy for the carb on a daily basis as far as seals are concerned? I could see draining the carb during the winter months and draining the tank before letting that 2 stroke fuel hit the carb in the spring.

birdmannn101 makes a good point, and I don't sit well with the idea of starving the engine to death everytime I need to stop.

Jaguar, I've tried this too, usually on accident, I'm glad to know that's another way of doing it.

I read about a yes/no switch for grounding out the blue wire instead of essentially shorting out the magneto like the standard killswitch. Any thought on that? That seems like it could have been my problem. but I would hate to go about rewiring a new killswitch just to find out that wasn't the problem. It did work well whenever I would hit it to kill the bike, would be a shame if that part of the throttle went to waste. How do you guys have your killswitches set up?

EDIT: Do you guys know of anyway to troubleshoot the killswitch? not to see if it's working but to see if it could be shorting out a mag?

Okay, so after changing out the magneto and removing the killswitch entirely I tried to ride my bike about a block earlier, was hesitant about it all day, flipped a coin. decided to try.

I checked for spark right before leaving, very healthy spark, I left and pedaled a bit, when I dropped the clutch it just sounded like it backfired a few times, but it wouldn't start. I decided to stop, checked for spark...

guess what guys?

...no spark.

Frustrated as hell I went inside, tried a different spark plug, checked my readings on an ohmeter, it looks like the magneto is still alive, (I'm getting readings from the white lead and blue lead wire) and it looks like the CDI is alive, (I'm getting readings from black and blue wires to plug boot)...

Unlucky me encountered a whole other problem it seems. I'm pretty upset, but I'm trying to look forward to the future... "one day I'll have a working motorbike just like everyone else on this forum"

time to switch out my CDI and magneto again?

Back