help pls, how to set up a motorized bicycle with disk breaks

S

szymon

hello I've got a kit from ebay coming next week and I have a bike with rear disk breaks I was going to take them out and replace them with the sprocket but I don't want to get rid of back break so is there anyway around it
thanks

there should be a hole above the tire to attach a caliper brake (tektro has a cam operated caliper brake with almost the stopping power of a disk) - there are tophat adapters that will fit some bikes to keep the disk brake along with the sprocket - there are drum brake rear wheels that may fit some bikes and have room for the sprocket

either replace the rear brakes with rim brakes or figure out a way to use both. maybe figure out a sprotor setup if you're feeling fancy. sprotors aren't ideal but they look cool as hell and I personally don't rely much on my back brake anyway.

Photos would help.
If your rear wheel rim is suitable for rim brakes, and your frame has that central hole that Crassius mentioned, I would use that. I'd try to find a v brake mount and a basic v brake rather than a caliper, personally. Someone has done this and posted a photo but I don't know how to find it again now.

I've seen a lot of people using the rear sprocket as a disc lately and they all report it's working great.

What I'd recommend is a shift kit or either a V-Brake or a dual pivot caliper brake of decent quality. Both have good enough stopping power as long as you still have a disc up front.

Back