High-Performance Carb For Mitsubishi Engines

Attachments

• MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 314
And, here's a photo of a spare stock carb I found for my mitsubishi TLE43.

It's the face that bolts to the engine. The top port is air-only, the bottom is fuel-air (which gets routed through the crankcase.)

Attachments

• PICT0305a.jpg
    PICT0305a.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
lou's pic

if that's what you're working with, i think i was way off-base.

And, here's a photo of a spare stock carb I found for my mitsubishi TLE43.

It's the face that bolts to the engine. The top port is air-only, the bottom is fuel-air.

Lou, thanks for the picture. It's worth a thousand words.

Lou, is the port with the reed the fuel/air port?

Just an FYI,
I removed all the emissions stuff from my Tanaka PF40, and it still gets crazy good gas mileage compared to all my other 2 strokes.
Does the Mitsu have that weird piston "arrow" molded on top to help with
it being a leaner burn?

I've never had the head off, so I don't know about the shape of the top of the piston.

According to Mitsubishi's white paper, the reed valves are on the air-only port. I don't remember if there was a set for the fuel-air or not. This document does describe the scavenging short-circuit reduction method that's used with the TLE engine series.

When the engine idles, only the fuel/air port is open (and it only a bit) Then, as you open the throttle, both the ports open in unison.

The ideal approach would be to set up a split port adapter. Have the upper port connect to the air filter (or use a separate, small air cleaner for it) with a short piece of hi-temp reinforced silicone hose to bypass the carb, and have only the lower port & pulse line connect to the new carb.

The second choice would be a 'Y' adapter; having the new carb connect to BOTH the existing fuel-aor in port, and the existing air-only port.

capturedbyrobots: Does the Tanaka have the dual-port inlet?

Attachments

• HiPo.JPG
    HiPo.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 295
  • HiPo-Y.JPG
    HiPo-Y.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
now that got me thinking how the top whole works?does it just send clean air over the top of the piston to go out with the exaust to get a cleaner burn?

Pretty much, eastwoodo4. The first air into the piston as the exhaust gasses are leaving is only air. By the time the secondary port opens and the fuel/air starts entering, there's not a lot of exhaust gas left to exit, so very little unburnt fuel gets out the exhaust port.

Back