High Quality HT needle bearing cross reference found!!

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by mountain80, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mountain80

mountain80 Member

So after some sleuthing with my dad who has repaired small engines forever we finally found a better needle bearing for the HT top end. By better I mean that it is higher quality and will take 13,000 rpm easily(overkill). Go to you're stihl dealership and order a top end needle bearing for a stihl 028. This bearing measures 10mm id x 14mm od x 13 mm long. I measured the rod and pin. It is a straight drop in. Should be able to handle high rpms better now. Thought I would share it with all.

Cheers

2. spunout

spunout Member

thats good to know. what brand name of HT motor do you have? i have heard that not all connector rod bearing holes (of different HT motors) are the same size.

3. mountain80

mountain80 Member

Just a generic pk 80, if its a bushing top end then may or may not fit.

4. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

I found this bearing about 8 months ago and people wanted to know the size of it, so thanks for size update.

5. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I guess I'd better take this chance to learn a bit.

Just where on the engine are these bearings located and what purpose do they serve?

I'm having a hard time picturing any bearings at the top of a 2 stroke engine.

6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Top end of the con rod.

7. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Okay, that would make sense.

Now how about the crank end of the connecting rod? Are the stock bearings good enough or should we be looking for something better.

I've seen advice suggesting that splitting the crankcase is not something to be done lightly. But I'm gathering that someone who is careful can do this?

8. BSA

BSA Guest

Forgive my ignorance but I've always been confused about how to replace busings or bearing cages. Do I need any special tools?

BSA

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  9. Gungatim

Gungatim Member

you need a press, you may be able to heat up the rod a bit to help things out with a heat gun. the cages are fragile and easy to lose the bearings, so be careful!

10. BSA

BSA Guest

Thanks very much, I havn't got a press but I'm sure my metyalwork teacher will put me on the right track.

BSA

11. mountain80

mountain80 Member

You do not need a press to take the needle bearing out it is what they call an open cage meaning the needles contact the rod as well as the wrist pin, just slide one out and the other in.

12. 210061741

210061741 Guest

I hope this size is correct.

If it is you guys rock.

The local mower shop here stocks them.

Is it the bearing for the chainsaw sprocket?