How do I idle?

Excursions

Local time
6:04 AM
Hello all,

I just built my first 100cc motorized bike. It runs pretty well. However, I do not know how to idle when I come to a stop? How do I do this? I want to know how to do this before I really take it out to break it in. This bike is going to be my main transportation btw. Also, I've never driven a motorcycle, so if there is an underlying principle that carries over to motorized bikes...I would not be aware of it.

Here's what happens:

I will slow down to come to a complete stop. However, I do not know how to keep the bike running while I am stopped. So I end up having to pedal again to restart the bike.

When I come to a stop, sometimes, I hit the clutch all the way down and the sound of the motor revs up super high when I am sitting there. Am I just supposed to only partially disengage the clutch (this just occurred to me while typing)? Why does this revving happen when I am stopped? Am I supposed to adjust something? I adjusted the idle screw on the carburetor a couple times, but I don't really know which direction to move it in to be able to be at a full stop, but idle the engine. If so, please explain what to adjust and why.

I am here to learn because this is how I will be getting around from now on.

Are you letting go of th w throttle when you pull the clutch?
Yes. I am on the brake. Then the engine starts to die down because I’m slowing down, so I pull the clutch to rev it a little.

Sometimes I accidentally kill the bike. Other times the chain will fall off while trying to idle or coast. Things seem to get goofy between trying to slow down, idle and whatnot, then the chain pops off.

Or I will be coasting slowly.

I will say this, the throttle is the cheap one it came with, and might need a little adjusting.

I do not know how to idle when I come to a stop? How do I do this?
I've never driven a motorcycle, so if there is an underlying principle that carries over to motorized bikes...I would not be aware of it.
Hopefully you know that just like riding a motorcycle, when you come to a stop, the clutch lever is pulled all the way so the bike stays running...If you don't have the clutch pulled in, it doesn't stay running but chugs and dies and yes you could be popping the chain off when this happens as well if the chain has too much slack in it.

These bikes are not like having an automatic transmission in a car where all you do is apply the brakes to come to a stop and and it still stays running.

Back