How do I idle?

Hopefully you know that just like riding a motorcycle, when you come to a stop, the clutch lever is pulled all the way so the bike stays running...If you don't have the clutch pulled in, it doesn't stay running but chugs and dies and yes you could be popping the chain off when this happens as well if the chain has too much slack in it.

These bikes are not like having an automatic transmission in a car where all you do is apply the brakes to come to a stop and and it still stays running.
Oh, this helps a lot! I have no experience with motorcycles, but I drove a manual transmission a while back, so I understand how the clutch might come into play, kinda. Tell me if this sounds rights:

Perhaps the throttle is not up all the way (as in released the throttle so that no more power is given), so when I do hit the clutch and brake that's why it revs so much.? It's like I'm burning rubber sometimes.

Tell me if this sounds right in terms of order of operations when coming to a stop. Which order is the right order?

Option 1:
1. Let go of the throttle and make sure it's in its resting position all the way (technically, I would be turning it up until it comes to a stop in its housing).
2. Engage the clutch
3. Engage the brakes

Option 2:
1. Let go of the throttle
2. Engage the brakes
3. Engage the clutch

Oh, this helps a lot! I have no experience with motorcycles, but I drove a manual transmission a while back, so I understand how the clutch might come into play, kinda. Tell me if this sounds rights:

Perhaps the throttle is not up all the way (as in released the throttle so that no more power is given), so when I do hit the clutch and brake that's why it revs so much.? It's like I'm burning rubber sometimes.

Tell me if this sounds right in terms of order of operations when coming to a stop. Which order is the right order?

Option 1:
1. Let go of the throttle and make sure it's in its resting position all the way (technically, I would be turning it up until it comes to a stop in its housing).
2. Engage the clutch
3. Engage the brakes

Option 2:
1. Let go of the throttle
2. Engage the brakes
3. Engage the clutch

Go with option 1 except let off the throttle and pull the clutch simultaneously, don't wait for the rpms to go down, just pull the clutch lever as soon as you let off the throttle, then apply brakes.

Are you letting go of th w throttle when you pull the clutch?
Yes. However, I took the throttle off the handle to inspect it. It occurred to me that maybe the throttle isn't fully releasing back into its housing and that's why I'm having such a hard time. Could it be too much slack in the throttle cable? It seems correctly tensioned to me, but how would I be sure? What should I look for?

Overall, I'm trying to gather as much information before I test drive it again. I would hate to break something so soon. Thanks for asking.

Hello all,

I just built my first 100cc motorized bike. It runs pretty well. However, I do not know how to idle when I come to a stop? How do I do this? I want to know how to do this before I really take it out to break it in. This bike is going to be my main transportation btw. Also, I've never driven a motorcycle, so if there is an underlying principle that carries over to motorized bikes...I would not be aware of it.

Here's what happens:

I will slow down to come to a complete stop. However, I do not know how to keep the bike running while I am stopped. So I end up having to pedal again to restart the bike.

When I come to a stop, sometimes, I hit the clutch all the way down and the sound of the motor revs up super high when I am sitting there. Am I just supposed to only partially disengage the clutch (this just occurred to me while typing)? Why does this revving happen when I am stopped? Am I supposed to adjust something? I adjusted the idle screw on the carburetor a couple times, but I don't really know which direction to move it in to be able to be at a full stop, but idle the engine. If so, please explain what to adjust and why.

I am here to learn because this is how I will be getting around from now on.
You don't have a 100cc. You either have a 75cc (49mm x 40mm stroke) or 78cc (YD100) 50mm x 40mm stroke.

Clockwise raises idle, counter clockwise lowers it. If you have air leaks in the engine, forget tuning a carb. I know on my build I have to get the bike warm before it will idle.

Couple things....

If you have a high idle (raising it clockwise too much) the bike will sometimes move forward on it's own slowly due to the idle screw being turned in, which in turn will give you a high idle. The other cause for a high idle is an air leak. I'm confused on what the problem is with you not being able to idle, but talking about how you idle? I'm lost.

Hello all,

I just built my first 100cc motorized bike. It runs pretty well. However, I do not know how to idle when I come to a stop? How do I do this? I want to know how to do this before I really take it out to break it in. This bike is going to be my main transportation btw. Also, I've never driven a motorcycle, so if there is an underlying principle that carries over to motorized bikes...I would not be aware of it.

Here's what happens:

I will slow down to come to a complete stop. However, I do not know how to keep the bike running while I am stopped. So I end up having to pedal again to restart the bike.

When I come to a stop, sometimes, I hit the clutch all the way down and the sound of the motor revs up super high when I am sitting there. Am I just supposed to only partially disengage the clutch (this just occurred to me while typing)? Why does this revving happen when I am stopped? Am I supposed to adjust something? I adjusted the idle screw on the carburetor a couple times, but I don't really know which direction to move it in to be able to be at a full stop, but idle the engine. If so, please explain what to adjust and why.

I had a lot of trouble with this but I was first learning to ride. I sold my bike out a bunch and almost fell off a few times.

Now, are usually pull the clutch and let it lock pulled before I start to break. If your engine revs up when you pull it, make sure you weren’t on the throttle. Sometimes I have to consciously tell myself to twist the throttle forward instead of backwards. If you’re still getting an RPM spike when you’re idle, you may need to adjust your throttle. In my case, my throttle needle assembly wasn’t seated in my carburetor correctly, semi throttle was always about half open.

There are multiple ways of adjustment. There should be a way to adjust it at the handlebars, and the way to adjust it down at the carburetor end. Do you want more slack in your throttle cable, so you need to spin the little nut on the end of your cable clockwise and tighten it down on top of the carburetor. I’m not at my bike as I type this, so I can’t remember which way to adjust it at the handlebar side.

if you pull the needle out of the carburetor, you’ll be able to tell if you’re accomplishing what you intend to. Less compression on the spring that’s on the needle assembly will mean less throttle at idle. Don’t overdo it, or you’ll have trouble throttling up to 100%.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you still have problems.

ps I dictated this with Siri in case something doesn’t make sense lol

ps I dictated this with Siri in case something doesn’t make sense lol
And you would be correct that some words do not fit in context...Proof reading what you just dictated is what you should have done here.

You can always click the "edit" button in the post to make corrections.

We had another guy here recently using a voice recognition device that made an absolute mess of things using it.

Hello all,

Here's what happens:

First you need to pull in the clutch leaver.left side or wherever you mount it .. if it dies out try adjusting the clutch and lastly spray some starter fluid or carb cleaner around the intake side of cylinder while running. This will help you find any vacuum leak isn't present. Also spray where carb goes onto intake also. If it won't stay idle with clutch pulled in then turn idle screw counter clockwise for more fuel and clockwise to restrict accordingly. Hope this helps

First you need to pull in the clutch leaver.left side or wherever you mount it .. if it dies out try adjusting the clutch and lastly spray some starter fluid or carb cleaner around the intake side of cylinder while running. This will help you find any vacuum leak isn't present. Also spray where carb goes onto intake also. If it won't stay idle with clutch pulled in then turn idle screw counter clockwise for more fuel and clockwise to restrict accordingly. Hope this helps
All good advice, especially the clutch adjustment

Back