How hard to pedal 2 stroke w/ clutch pulled?

G

Growl

Thinking about getting Grubbe 2 stroke kit. Wondering how much drag is on bike when the clutch is locked off. Could you pedal a block? ... a mile?

That wasn't my experience. With the clutch properly adjusted and the chain well lubed I still carried the tools with me to take off the big chain in case I ran out of gas or had a mechanical failure with the engine. It takes like twice the effort to pedal it with that chain on and the clutch lever pulled in.

trust me, you do not want to have to pedal the thing more than a block

Thinking about getting Grubbe 2 stroke kit.
Wondering how much drag is on bike when the clutch is locked off.
Could you pedal a block? ... a mile?
Depends on the bike weight, the drive chain size, and if you have pedal gears or not.
With the kit installed but the drive chain off, can you pedal it around the block or a mile?
It just goes downhill from there with the chain on and why think even 415 chain is too much.

When you pedal the chain moves and has to go all the way trough the engine to the right hand side clutch pressure plate before the drag stops.

The bigger the chain, the more drag, I miss the original Grubee Skyhawk kits with simple single speed 410 chain, and why I think 41# chain feels like you are pulling a boat anchor to pedal.

This is why so many people keep trying to make a freewheel on the drive side, the drive chain doesn't move when you are pedaling so no drag.
The downfall is you can't start it with the back wheel as the chain don't move.

The fix for that however is Jackshaft Shift Kit, there is no left chain to the back wheel, it gets routed to the right and drive power uses you pedal chain so the back wheel always spins drag free.
You start the engine with you pedals directly, like a kick start.

I am the original poster who asked.

Thanks for your answers!
So it's controversial... how easy it is to pedal...

I wonder... with the jackshaft setup, there's no drag pedaling when the clutch is locked? Or some, but less so?

Thanks for your answers!

I wonder... with the jackshaft setup, there's no drag pedaling when the clutch is locked? Or some, but less so?[/QUOTE

Thanks for your answers!

I wonder... with the jackshaft setup, there's no drag pedaling when the clutch is locked? Or some, but less so?
I have sold and riding someny motorised bikes and thay do have drag but not enough to worry about .when the motor brakes down 3 hours from home its better than walking and if your bike has gears not a fixi then evon better .The more you ride the more fit and use to it you get .I did 4 years of riding to work and back 15km one way to the heat of the city .

Some pedal drag, but was less than dragging a 415 chain, on a 4-stroke there is no pedal drag at all, since it has a pull start the engine is isolated from the pedals completely via a freewheel.

There is enough drag on a single speed setup to make pedaling a pain. Don't think you'd want to go farther than a half mile or so. Longer than that just take the chain off. It takes ~30 seconds but your hands will be covered in grease/dirt/whatever crap collects on chains.

Back