How heavy do you think my bike with engine kit is?

bigkev81

Local time
1:19 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of ordering a Bicycle repair stand and I am just wondering how heavy my motored bike would be?
The one I am looking at holds a load of 30KG's, do you think thats enough?

My engine is a 2stroke 66cc R80 engine.
I do not know which brand, but believe it is one of the chinese ones. Here are the specs from the shops website:
MOTOR SPECIFICATIONS
slant head for better compression
2.5L fuel tank
allen key bolts
8mm engine mount studs
66cc single cylinder
air cooled
2 stroke
bore & stroke 47mm*40mm
CDI ignition
power 3.3KW@ 7500rpm
compression 9:1
pedal start
2 stroke lubrication
fuel ration 16:1, 25:1 after running in
10L run in period
fuel consumption 2.5L/100km
rub bloc dry clutch
speed 60km +
My Bike is an XDS Beach Cruiser c310. Photo and specs:
side130.jpg
BIKE SPECIFICATIONS
SKUC310
ManufacturerXDS
Product nameC310 Mens Beach Cruiser
FeaturesMud Guards
Speed8 Speed
Frame6061 Alloy
Frame Size19"
ForkHi-Ten
HandlebarSteel Chrome W=700mm, H=245mm, 49°
Headstem100mm, 30°, Alloy
Seat PillarAlloy
SaddleVelo
Seat PillarSteel Chrome 27.2*300mm
Gear Shifter8-Spd, Shimano
Rear DerailleurShimano
Crankset44T*170mm, Steel/Alloy
Bottom BracketSealed
FreewheelShimano 11-30T, 8Spd
ChainKMC
BrakesTektro "V" Alloy
PedalsVp-813 PP/Steel
Rims26*1.75"*14G*36H Alloy Machined
HubsF:KT-Q/R, R:KT-CYDR, Alloy
SpokesStainless Steel
Tyres26*2.125", Kenda
ColourDark Grey
Year2013

I have no idea how heavy either item weighs, but I think I should figure it out before I put some money down on a Bicycle repair stand.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers
Kev :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 30 kg is roughly 60 pounds. You'll be under that, no doubt. But you'll want to consider this; your MB will be heavy enough that you're likely to find that you just don't want to lift it up that high very often.

You have a couple of alternatives. I got myself a good double-leg kickstand. When I need to work on the bike I park it with the kickstand on top of, say, a couple of bricks or something of that thickness. Now my rear tire is up in the air. Sitting in a folding chair next to the bike, I have good access to most components. If I need to fix something up front, then a weight on the rear cargo rack gets the front wheel up in the air.

Others use a bicycle hoist. A rope and pulley arrangement, really meant for just parking a bike on the ceiling of a garage.

Hi mate,
I would say the 30 KGs is slightly marginal. Do you know the shipping weight of the engine kit? I would expect, somewhere in the 35 range would offer a little margin. My lightweight motor bike is approx. 45KGs.

Attachments

• Allstate Moped 1962.jpg
    Allstate Moped 1962.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 297
Okay thanks guys.

The place I bought my bike from actually ship the bikes with motor installed. I picked mine up so I don't know the weight, but I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask.

In the meantime, what I really want is something to just raise the rear wheel off the ground. So I can start turning the pedal with my hand, and start the bikes engine and warm it up without having to leave the garage.
That double kickstand sounds okay, I might look into that option. Any other idea's would be appreciated.

Cheers
Kev

I hang mine off an A frame stepladder with 2 motorcycle tie downs. Advantages; (1) I have a stepladder and motorcycle tiedowns already. (2) It can take the weight. Disadvantages; (1) I sometimes have to squirm around the ladder to get at what I want. (2) I got rough with something last summer and almost knocked the ladder over.

My bike is a tandem, recumbent MB, with engine mountings sticking out. Your bike is much "cleaner" and a conventional "work" stand (in addition to whatever kickstand you end up with) should work fine. No idea about $, but if I could use one I would buy one. You WILL be working on your machine.

You could weigh it.
Roll the front wheel onto a bathroom and then the rear wheel- add the two together and you got the weight.
You might want to think twice about running the thing in your garage anyway, 2strokes aren't the cleanest running things.
And you may not be able to start it by hand spinning the crank anyway.

Hey Kev,
I too use a "on-the-cheap" system as Bluegoatwoods describes. A $40 waist high, 6' long folding table from a hardware store and a good tripod type kick stand. I've built 3 bikes and a trike on this setup.
Barry

My bike with all of the extra stuff (and it has a lot of stuff hanging off it) weighs in at 39 kilos or 86 lbs, hence i can't use a conventional bicycle rack to transport it, because i can't lift the damn thing up and over the locating mounts.

so

i use this method if i need to transport it distances outside of a bicycle day trip.

I have been looking for a bicycle repair stand suitable for raising MB's and other than the expensive hydraulic motorcycle platform lifts no single pole stand for bicycles is worth a turd, besides all the gas tank, line and cables in the way to hang it on a couple of arms, you always have the darn pole blocking the center on one side and you have to lift the darn thing.

For most things I find just a simple front wheel bike parking stand on carpet with a couple of rolling short kitchen table chairs work for most things, but there does come a time when you want the bike up off the ground a foot or two so you don't have to see this...

ColeButt12-2013.jpg

That's long time buddy / shop helper.

I am just going to use a 6' long 2x10" as a platform with the rack attached to front that can be fixed higher up if desired which would make a ramp I can roll the bike up, then raise the back to match it with it a lever.

with a nice wide floor based platform you can work from either side but not allow you to try to run it which I won't do indoors anyway.

Just a tip for a cheap stand that won't be in the way to work or make you dead lift the thing as that big 'ole 4-stroke Felt with a bunch of bags weighs in at over 100 pounds.

If your like me and have a balcony for a work space, those heavy duty hooks used to hang bikes work well. Just screw them in vertically to the wood railings and it works well. Just have to move the bike 180deg depending on which side your working on.

Back