How long does it take to start the engine on your first start?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by StrontiumEthics, Aug 6, 2008.

1. StrontiumEthics

StrontiumEthics Motored Bikes Sponsor

On a pedal start 2 stroke how long does it usually take before the engine kicks in if its your first start?

2. jamesburr36

jamesburr36 Member

Cold start - pull up choke, push tickler 3 times - pedal to 8 mph - pop clutch - 6 feet or aboout 1.5 secs.

Warm start - pedal to 8 mph - pop clutch - instant start.

3. Simon_A

Simon_A Member

If you mean your very first start on a fresh engine, about half way round the block.

My legs were caneing first time I fired my engine into life.

Half way round the block I stopped and started checking everything as I was sure I did something wrong during assembly. But then on the way back I decided to pop the clutch for the **** of it and after a couple of meters she spluttered into life.

Got home and the grin I had was worth it.
  4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Not to be bragging but with a honda it takes a 1/4 pull on the rope or about 2 ft of riding it engaged. ZOOM ZOOM!
  5. StrontiumEthics

Where is the "tickler" located? What is it?
  6. StrontiumEthics

Can you give me a specific percedure on starting it correctly?

What exactly what do I have to do in order to have a correct start? Mines not starting.
  7. jamesburr36

jamesburr36 Member

The "tickler" is the little button that protrudes on the top left side of the carb bihind the air cleaner. It's the opposite of where the fuel hose nipple is.

I've read that some don't even mess with the tickler except to prime the carb after they run out of gas but I just push it every time I start the motor.

It's cold and somewhat humid here so it doesn't take long for my engine to cool down when I stop it so I use the choke as well from time to time on luke warm starts but always on cold starts.

Once it starts I open the choke and hold the throttle to allow it to idle fast at 2000 rpms for a half minute. Then I take off. It sputters for about a block during a cold start but then runs great.

Maybe I'll design a tiny turbo with a air preheater in the future..HE HE HEE.

8. jamesburr36

jamesburr36 Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I pop the clutch I hold the throttle open a little. Any more than that wouldn't do any good since the choke is closed. Once it starts I open the choke to prevent it from flooding out.
  9. StrontiumEthics

When I took out the sparkplug and looking in the cylinder, I didnt see fuel. However, I did not get a chance to drive it around the block only a couple feet at a time untill the chain jammed up on me. Does that mean anything?
  10. jamesburr36

jamesburr36 Member

11. autobo7

autobo7 Member

Defiantly ride it a few hundred feet with the clutch popped before you assume that there is something wrong with it. However, When i first got my motor i spent about an hour trying to get it to spring to life, because i hadn't mixed my gas properly. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly before filling your tank. Also another common problem is to make sure the your fuel valve is open. It sounds dumb but if anyone on this forum hasn't do it at least one time I challenge them to raise their hand.
  12. wayde

wayde Guest

happy time with the upgrade carb 1 pedal with choke up and there she goes i love the upgraded carb it's the bee's knee's
  13. StrontiumEthics

What do you mean you didnt mix fuel right?
  14. dwsutton

dwsutton Member

Now about 6 feet - choke at halfway point, I never use the tickler. First time is always more tight that when you have it broke in a bit.

15. autobo7

autobo7 Member

I dumped the oil into the tank then filled it with gas.
    I basically just filled the fuel line with oil:oops:
  16. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

Mine actually started up immediately the very first time I tried it. I had the choke up about 1/4 of the way and pressed the tickler 3-4 times. The only problem was that my chain tension was really loose and it came off and locked up the rear wheel after about 150ft.:grin:
  17. StrontiumEthics

I Started Her!!!

I started her up today, and the same thing happen to me, it did not even take me long to do so. So my quest is done, I just have to align things and ill be good to go.
  18. autobo7

autobo7 Member

congrats, happy trails
  19. alex

alex Guest

Mine starts in about 10-15 feet with no choke-or tickler from cold. I just give it 1/4 throttle and she starts up right every time.
  20. BigFella

BigFella Member

mine started in about 7 to 10 peddels down hill