How Many Miles Did You Get On Happy Time before the times became unhappy ?

I don't think I actually lucked out on my engine. For the first 2 thousand miles it was castor oil at 6 oz to a gallon. Then I got sloppy with the mix and then my bearing failed.
Also I ran it hard towards the end what a no no.
My DAX engine from the used engine deal I made with him is running now. And this time I will NEVER go above 15 mph and will NEVER give it more than 3/4 throttle.
That's how to make an HT last. Baby it like it's gonna break if you don't and it's pretty accurate.
These MB's really should be run slow anyway. It actually looks way cooler in my eyes and it shows the world you are on a bicycle instead of a small motorcycle.

Without a freewheel sprocket they are a death trap. I have a twist clutch from the old metal twist throttle HT days of about 5 years ago. Getting that clutch in is pretty quick because you always have a hand on the grip but even that wasn't quick enough when the engine seized and the con rod turned the piston sideways in the cylinder. The HT is the best motor for someone who is tired of living.

One of mine seized up as well. The good thing is that I am so dam fat, that I stayed planted to the seat, haha.

ive had good times, happy times!

i got my 80cc on ebay, only to find out its actually like 67cc but thats okay. well the first 500km on it were the worst thing i have ever done! i ran it at 14:1 for the break in. i used standard low grade fuel and low grade oil. all the bolts on it were pure ****. the thing vibrated so much my bike started to fall apart! i replaced all the bolts and nuts and you do need alot of red loctite. but that was 6500km ago. once i worked it in i ran 20:1 and thats what i always run. i found that if you drill a 1/4" hole in the baffle it makes the vibration go away completely and it runs way faster and more peppy than ever. it goes up hills like nothing! im 230lbs and i ride about 250km a week. and i ride it hard! i rev it and hold it screaming for hours and i will take it up those hills and take it off road. i blew my exhaust gasket yesterday and snapped the muffler mounts. im replacing that now so its no big deal. i have found that for the last 700 or so km it has been very loud on the hills. it sounds like a car turning over whenever there is any strain on the motor. but it still has the same power. and i dont even clean mine! its covered in oil and it leaks oil from every nook and cranny. but it still runs strong. i ran it all through winter(im in canada)the salt was bad. i replaced the happy time plug after 2500km (i broke it in on the plug too!) then the tip of the plug like melted. i replaced it with a ngk b6hs and i got like 4km on it then i blew the exhaust gasket. could the plug be related? well i am very happy with my happy time engine so far!! oh and i mix my gas very very very acurate! i mix it with a 500ml bottle of oil then i pump 10 liters of gas into the jerry can exactly. so i think aslong as you mix it perfectly and break it in properly your set for a looooong time. but you NEED to break it in right!!

Last edited:
a happy Happy Timers ----- linnix13

but it still runs strong. i ran it all through winter(im in canada)

well i am very happy with my happy time engine so far!!

oh and i mix my gas very very very acurate!

so i think aslong as you mix it perfectly and break it in properly your set for a looooong time. but you NEED to break it in right!!

sounds good linnix
we will put you in the book of happy Happy Timers
way to show that HT some love -- as you

ride that motor bike thing

Linnix 13 was one of the lucky ones. His motor is one of the 2% that don't break. I've never abused the HT during the 500 km run-in but even during that time I've had the rings go on me and the bearing get noisy. I'm told that a recent batch of Grubees are so good the supplier will give me a warranty on them. This is the exception though. Mostly they are total junk.
I haven't ridden mine for 6 months apart from a little start every 2 months and I have to say I don't miss it.

Last summer after several hundred miles on my HT engine, I got 3 flat tires on a 45 mile ride. **** chinese junk.

just to be clear to anyone who isnt familiar with the context of "happy time" in this thread: this thread has nothing to do with me or my business.
i got an email the other day from someone who wanted an assembled bike, but saw this thread and was skittish.
the term "happy time" was coined purely out of humor for the origin of the motors. i liked the term so much that i stole it. fair and square.

Just so long as unrealistic appraisals of HTs don't go unchallenged because I read a lot of tosh about these appalling pieces of badly made poor quality junk.

just keeping on track of thread

question -- estimate of miles ridden on your Happy Time before breakdown

type of breakdown -- rebuild or bought another ? cost to repair or replace ?

I have heard of everything from 0 miles to 5 thousand miles before repairs needed

how about you Happy Time riders -- care to share the HT experience ???

not wishing to put down the HT engines
let's face it -- for low cost of investment -- HTs = only MB engine just over 100 dollars

ride the motor bike
not wishing to put down HT engines

that's a proven true fact
only new MB engine offered with a price of just over 100 dollars
if that's what someone is looking for ???

cost kind of on the low side with a not so proven ride ???

ride that thing

Back