How much play in a clutch basket?

francisjohn

Local time
2:24 PM
How much play in a clutch basket before it's no good? I'm speaking about the basket itself (where the pad are held and the teeth are all around) How much lateral play is okay between the basket and backing plate?

Thanks

When you hold that large gear in your hand, you should expect to have a tiny bit of in and out movement, exactly how much in and out movement are we talking about here???

When you hold that large gear in your hand, you should expect to have a tiny bit of in and out movement, exactly how much in and out movement are we talking about here???
I do know there will be some back and forth play that is normal. I don't have any new clutch gears to compare it to. There is approx 1.8mm of play.

I do know there will be some back and forth play that is normal. I don't have any new clutch gears to compare it to. There is approx 1.8mm of play.
I don't think that is abnormal with these China Girls, Just be sure to follow the clutch adjusting "tutorial" once you put everything back together again and also be sure that you put a dab of either White lithium grease or Lucas red & tacky in between the two gears where they mesh being careful to avoid putting too much on so it doesn't get into the clutch pads, also a dap of grease on both ends of the bucking bar where it meets the clutch arm actuator and the ball bearing inside.

If you never saw the proceedure for correctly adjusting the clutch, I have provided the link below.

1.8mm isnt too bad. I completely rebuilt mine with slightly oversized and non chinesium ball bearings cause the side to side play in mine was closer to 4mm and it was loud as hell

I don't think that is abnormal with these China Girls, Just be sure to follow the clutch adjusting "tutorial" once you put everything back together again and also be sure that you put a dab of either White lithium grease or Lucas red & tacky in between the two gears where they mesh being careful to avoid putting too much on so it doesn't get into the clutch pads, also a dap of grease on both ends of the bucking bar where it meets the clutch arm actuator and the ball bearing inside.

If you never saw the proceedure for correctly adjusting the clutch, I have provided the link below.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. The current basket has 2,500 miles on it as I rebuilt the entire engine with spare parts I had (drive sprocket, clutch assembly, small bevel etc) but I can tell the basket is on its way out. It spins way too freely to where it's abnormal. I wasn't sure about the play though. I do use a bit of grease but always make sure not to go overboard as when I first started, I used so much that I couldn't engage the clutch to start it over.

Back