How to climb big hills with original GEBE kit?

What are your thoughts on the #11 gear OldPETE? Have you tried a combination of low gear pedaling with engine assist? ( 50% throttle or so) The motor won't supply all the torque yet the clutch doesn't feel like it's slipping. This is the balance MtnGOAT and I seem to accept for hill climbing.
I agree..don't expect to effortlessly ride like a motorcycle, nor get off and walk the bike.
My goal is to travel anywhere I wish and stay on the saddle the entire trip....even if that means i'm sweaty and sore when I arrive home. Not afraid to pedal with muscle.
I believe the #11 makes this a reality but too many compromises. I'll leave #11 on for awhile ( maybe I'll get a few warmer days heading into winter) Might be a good snow gear too.:)

Wild,
Like was stated earlyer in this thread and as it is stated at GEBE's site, it is a 10% progression from 11 to 12 to 13. Simple! The glory of the GEBE system is that it is light, simple, silent(comparatively), lube free and uber-legal.

NOTE: It is good to have the tension roller pulling the belt under a bit to get as many belt teeth engaged as possible.

Only from what I have read...The Tanaka 40 is at the threshold of the belt's tolerance for poor applications of power. The Honda 50cc motor offers vibration and good torque, prolly too much torque. The Tanaka 47 or 47R would be a disaster waiting to happen to a GEBE belt.
Someone here did have a GEBE set-up with a 47R but he has not posted in awhile.

If I wanted to have hill pulling with pedal assist power no matter what...I would consider building a bike with a freewheeling crankset and this three speed gear box http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7624
When the engine drives the crankset it will pull any gear at the rear wheel. How about seven or eight forward speeds off the engine? I have no idea how long a skinny bicycle chain will tolerate 1.6 to 2.0hp.

More Thoughts on #11

I'm trying to work with the #11. Much improved torque for climbing. Not very fast otherwise. Down hill drifting creates several problems. With clutch engaged and engine braking....feathering the brakes to keep the engine at a steady RPM is slow but steady decent. Allowing clutch to disengage while drifting freely may also cause the belt to jump....i suspect the tiny diameter of the #11 gear at high RPM still cannot keep up with a down hill drift. One must wait to slow down considerably before running up to speed again. I have not experienced this problem as much with the #12 ( although it can happen occasionally) and never with the #13.
I'll reserve the #11 as an off-road gear, slow rides, hill climbs etc. Not practical as an all-purpose gear even on hilly terrain due to the down hill issues. IMO this should be the " trail" gear for the T33cc.

Back