How to get threaded screws off?

deXtrous

Local time
6:29 AM
So I'm making a jackaxle from a pocket bike hub, but these screws must have been super glued or something
ack2.gif

attachment.php

They simply didn't want to come off, so I had to grind them down to get the disc brake off.

Any tips on how I could get them off?

Cheers :)

Attachments

• DSC04464 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04464 (Medium).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
You're making a crankshaft from a pocket-bike hub? I don't follow.

I'd say the screws might have permanent, (red), Loctite or Permatex on them.
(That's a thread-locker.)

You shouldn't have ground them off, (impatient?), but at least there's a tiny bit to get hold of.
Did you try heat, when they wouldn't come undone? That's what you should try next.
You might need to buy bolt-extractors as well at this point - see how you go.

Last edited:
Heat will break Locktite down. No problem. I made a jackshaft out of a rear scooter hub like you are doing- works fine.

Broken screw extractors maybe?

I have no idea who sells them in Australia. They're not a typical hardware-store item, more of a professional machine-shop sort of tool, so you very well may need to order them online.
~

There have been many threads dealing with this issue, in fact more then I care to think of.

1. Yes as mentioned, heat will soften the adhesive if any was used.
2. If you can heat it and take a pair (proper size) vise grips to turn the stud/bolt out..GREAT..if not
3. You can drill out as much material and use an easy out to extract the screw...I'd heat it before/while extracting. Start with a small size drill bit and work your way up.
4. If possible, when drilling a hole in the bolt/stud use a left, yes a left handed drill bit.

There is a stud extractor made to slip over the stud and remove it, but I or it looks like you have trashed that option. Top tool is used with an impact wrench, the bottom uses a 3/8" ratchet/breaker bar.

Attachments

• sjdiscounttools_2093_50528945.gif
    sjdiscounttools_2093_50528945.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 133
  • base_media.jpg
    base_media.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
'Ezy-Out's or other generic bolt extractors can be got at almost any auto accessory store and most hardware stores, here in Oz. (We're good at breaking bolts.)

A good point when drilling for an 'Ezy-Out' is to drill a pilot hole, then use a left-hand drill bit for the second drilling, if you can get them. Check out eBay. Often, the broken bolt/stud will come out with the drill. (Thanks, Al.Fisherman)

Try 'SuperCheapAuto', either online or in person, else Mitre10.

Wow, great minds.....
I was just typing my reply as you typed your's, Ron.
When I thanked you for the left-hand drill tip, I was referring to when you mentioned it a few weeks ago, not to your most recent post.

I meant to add, 'jackshaft', not 'crankshaft'. Now it makes sense.

Last edited:
By the way....if a easy out is to be used ...don't scrimp and buy a cheap POS of China **** (brittle material) ... buy a GOOD tool...if you snap it off in the stud, now the nightmares begin, and use pressure but not excessive force, as it can snap even the best easy out off.

Thanks folks, gonna get an ezy-out and left handed drill bit!

Yep us Aussies are impatient little buggers aren't we!

Back