how to safely clean a motorised bike without damaging the carb or electrics

Toby woodman

Local time
6:26 PM
I own lots of bikes including a high end full suspension mountain bike. I use a foam cannon which is similar to what is used on a car, and a hose pipe to clean them. Avoiding a pressure washer avoids damaging the linkage bearings. I have noticed my bike engine has become very dirty. I am a bit anxious about using my usual process as I would like to avoid damaging the engine or carb. is it safe to use a hosepipe on the engine and carb to clean it. the only waterproofing going into the magneto housing is a small red rubber nut with threads and a hole in the middle for the wire to pass though. Can a carb be sprayed with water without filling with water. Any experience or tips would be appreciated.

You might put some silicone gasket maker over your magneto wires & red plug. Then put a zip lock bag over the carburetor with a couple rubber bands to hold it on.

sorry, the time zones don't line up. yes I have got it nice and clean. thanks for the help
I always like to keep mine nice and clean...I have microfiber cloth's that I use to wipe it down after every ride so I have never had to do any heavy duty cleaning like you just had to...lol.

Post a pic of your "clean" bike...We would love to see it...Here is mine below and this is how I like it to look at all times.

DSCN0229.JPG

DSCN0228.JPG

DSCN0230.JPG

Whatever that is...lol.
It's a quick detailer/polish/wax spray marketed to motorcycles. Basically, think Meguiars Quick detailer, but with a motorcycle on the bottle.

It's good for results close to this. (Also, look, my clean motorized bike! ;) )

Attachments

• YES.jpg
    YES.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 81
Back