Hub adapter question

A chemical alternative that I used could be worth a go.

Light 80 grit sanding to key the adapter and the hub (just visible scratch marks will suffice). Then this stuff. (Loctite 638) which is the strongest they make https://www.amazon.com/Retaining-Compound-Slip-Maximum-Strength/dp/B072XT25H6

Best thing to do is pre-fit the hub and sprocket, set your alignment, and then tape off around both sides. Then also lightly key the hub, and if there is paint on the hub, make sure to remove as much as you can in the area it will be applied, otherwise it can let go by literally peeling the paint off. Clean everything well, rubbing alcohol is my recommendation. Apply to the hub halves or the hub itself. Install hub and re-align, then let it cure. 24 hours minimum.

That stuff held on a a 1.25 adapter on my Kent's original wheel, with my giant fat butt weighing it down and a Phantom 85 pulling with all it's might. I am not claiming it can't/wont fail, but it has a shear stregnth over 4,000psi. I've seen a 1/2" steel shaft on a machine get bent after destroying a bearing that was put on using that stuff. The race was still stuck to the shaft. It also takes several hundred degrees (about 600) to release.

Just an idea.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back