Sturmey archer xl-rd3 hub adapter

Will the IGH 3 speeds take the power of a MB engine? I've rebuilt a few 3 speed SA's, and they don't look that robust. I like the idea, curious to see how it works.
I’m considering going with a moped hub for the rear, but have to see about cost and availability of proper parts.

I think I’m gonna build my own wheel using a motobecane av88 rear hub. Maybe 4 cross as it might be easier to find the correct spoke length that way. But I’ll see if I can find the correct spoke length for 3 cross first as I know trying to 4 cross 11g spokes won’t be easy lol.

I think I’m gonna build my own wheel using a motobecane av88 rear hub. Maybe 4 cross as it might be easier to find the correct spoke length that way. But I’ll see if I can find the correct spoke length for 3 cross first as I know trying to 4 cross 11g spokes won’t be easy lol.
The most common place I see a cross 4 being used is large wheels, small gauge spokes, and large spoke counts 48 or more.

What spoke brand are you going with? I also see the SA 3 speed you want to use has an aluminum shell/flange

On my Sidewinder, I had to replace the stock spokes with Saphim spokes. Fortunately, for me the rims were double walled and steel. The freewheel hub, though a cone style was also steel with disc mounts. I'm one that's happy with 30 mph. Replaced the stock axle with a cro-molly axle as well.

Right now a truing stand and spoke tension gage are outside of my budget.
Will the IGH 3 speeds take the power of a MB engine? I've rebuilt a few 3 speed SA's, and they don't look that robust. I like the idea, curious to see how it works.
The 212 isn't going through the gears. Op has a cvt.

As for running engine power through an igh, its been done by kc vale, cannonball3, many others on the other forum. Lots of ebike builds too, check out endless sphere for that. Based on my research, the 3 speed hubs seem to handle up to 2 horsepower, provided it's not getting a huge shock load.

There are services that will custom cut the spokes. Never seen more than triple cross, and the triple cross is usually on long spokes like 700c wheels. Worth investigating further.

https://www.buchananspokes.com/
At the very end of their listings for motorcycle spokes you will see 12ga stainless steel spokes and nipples for our motorized bikes. Kenny will custom cut any length you want and give you professional information on 3 or 4 cross patterns. These are really helpful people who I have done business with in the past. Two thumbs up!

https://www.buchananspokes.com/
At the very end of their listings for motorcycle spokes you will see 12ga stainless steel spokes and nipples for our motorized bikes. Kenny will custom cut any length you want and give you professional information on 3 or 4 cross patterns. These are really helpful people who I have done business with in the past. Two thumbs up!
I’m gonna look into those spokes, but if I could find 11g spokes the correct length for around the same price, I’d prefer that.

Right now a truing stand and spoke tension gage are outside of my budget.

The 212 isn't going through the gears. Op has a cvt.
I also decided against buying a truing stand and tension gauge. If I’m only buying one wheel, it’s not really worth it to spend the money and have them taking up space in my garage. I’m gonna lace the wheel and take it to a shop to have them true it.

Back