Sturmey archer brake cable

BruceBanner1983

Local time
5:30 AM
I need a shorter brake cable for my front brake, it’s a Sturmey xlfd. If my only option is to take it to a shop and have them shorten it, no problem if they can do it, but I’m having trouble finding a cable that’s even the proper type for this hub. Instead of there being a hole for the adjustment screw at the hub end, there’s just a notch, and finding a Sturmey brand cable is like good luck lol are there other cables that will fit?

I need a shorter brake cable for my front brake, it’s a Sturmey xlfd. If my only option is to take it to a shop and have them shorten it, no problem if they can do it, but I’m having trouble finding a cable that’s even the proper type for this hub. Instead of there being a hole for the adjustment screw at the hub end, there’s just a notch, and finding a Sturmey brand cable is like good luck lol are there other cables that will fit?
Picture please? There are many brake cable options. DIY and purchase. I had some issues with my Worksman's and found many options depending on the connnection to the lever and the brake pull arm. You can usually use something that is not the same as stock and have it work as well or better. Wrench makes all of his own cables from kit stock; Ferrels, outer sheaths, and cable wire etc.

Picture please? There are many brake cable options. DIY and purchase. I had some issues with my Worksman's and found many options depending on the connnection to the lever and the brake pull arm. You can usually use something that is not the same as stock and have it work as well or better. Wrench makes all of his own cables from kit stock; Ferrels, outer sheaths, and cable wire etc.
I’m not sure all of these are clear enough but hopefully gives an idea

Attachments

• IMG_5942.jpeg
    IMG_5942.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5943.jpeg
    IMG_5943.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 59
You can always solder an end on the cable after you shoren it.
Pretty much the same "connection" i have with my Worksman's. You can buy a "barrel" with set screw for the cable end to hook on the brake pull bar on the hub. Note that there are at least two common diameters of cable wire used and a third heavy duty one used on our Whizzer Brakes and clutch cables. I am sure you will figure it out with the search engines and parts websites. GL

Pretty much the same "connection" i have with my Worksman's. You can buy a "barrel" with set screw for the cable end to hook on the brake pull bar on the hub. Note that there are at least two common diameters of cable wire used and a third heavy duty one used on our Whizzer Brakes and clutch cables. I am sure you will figure it out with the search engines and parts websites. GL
I found some cable stops on Amazon and the correct length cable. Gonna have to cannibalize the SA cable for parts but oh well if they’d make them available we wouldn’t have to do this lol.

You can cut the cable easily if yoyu use the cut off disk on your Dremel Tool. Anything else tends to really tear it up. As for the end I think a cable stop from the hardware store will work just fine. I just did one last week on a motorcycle.

LIneman side cutters cuts a bike cable clean for me

sounds like ya might need a cable stop to be able to attach the cable to the brakes

Here's a Worksman
DSCF2787.JPGDSCF2788.JPGDSCF2792.JPG

Back