I am interested in Felt bicycles. Anyone else?

Frame:

Can anyone describe some pros and cons to having an aluminum vs steel frame on a FELT CRUISER?

Can anyone describe some pros and cons to having an aluminum vs steel frame on a FELT CRUISER?

The aluminium is lighter and therefor easier to propel forwards. That is reeally the only advantage. The stuff you hear about alloy frames not being able to take the strain of a motor is just not true. The strength of a bike depends on the way it's made and the quality and the alloy felts will be very made. The only annoying thing about them is the top tube is a silly shape for fitting a tank to and the hubs can be tricky as well. Also they sometimes use a 24" rear wheel and they are typically American and have no front brake and a coaster rear hub. They are nicely built though but without much brains as is clearly evident from what they offer. No probs with the frame strength for motorising and the MP is probably the strongest bike available on the market.

The aluminium is lighter and therefor easier to propel forwards. That is reeally the only advantage. The stuff you hear about alloy frames not being able to take the strain of a motor is just not true. The strength of a bike depends on the way it's made and the quality and the alloy felts will be very made. The only annoying thing about them is the top tube is a silly shape for fitting a tank to and the hubs can be tricky as well. Also they sometimes use a 24" rear wheel and they are typically American and have no front brake and a coaster rear hub. They are nicely built though but without much brains as is clearly evident from what they offer. No probs with the frame strength for motorising and the MP is probably the strongest bike available on the market.

So say I decide to use the top tube as a tank, that solves that problem....that or I'm thinking I can just mount a used motorcycle tank to the top. I'd prefer to just use the top tube as a tank, that way the frame's natural looks is showcased. I'm not sure what this whole coaster rear hub is that everyone is talking about and putting on a front brake only costs like 24 bucks or something. Back to this whole coaster rear hub business...what's this all about? Oh and what's wrong with it being American? It's not like we're talking cars here...right? ZING!

So say I decide to use the top tube as a tank, that solves that problem....that or I'm thinking I can just mount a used motorcycle tank to the top. I'd prefer to just use the top tube as a tank, that way the frame's natural looks is showcased. I'm not sure what this whole coaster rear hub is that everyone is talking about and putting on a front brake only costs like 24 bucks or something. Back to this whole coaster rear hub business...what's this all about? Oh and what's wrong with it being American? It's not like we're talking cars here...right? ZING!

You can use the tube as a tank and it looks fabulous - especially on the 1903 but it doesn't hold enough fuel for my liking. They are a great bike and beautifuly made but a trendy piece of brainless construction in my opinion and too good for an HT unless you have a really old HT from the days before they quality faded them.

The trouble with the whole Ridley motored bike package is that it contains downright untruths such as:
"1903 Engine - The Model 49, 70cc single cylinder 2-stroke engine. Properly maintained is capable of 20,000 miles. Front and rear engine mounts are specially designed to isolate engine vibration with rubber bushings."
I've had experience with many Ht motors from many suppliers and whilst the early ones from several years ago were indeed better made and vastly superior to what is being supplied now, there is no way those motors will last that long. My friend Hamish has the earliest Grubee 48cc - the one with the round fins on the cylinder - and it has done 13,000 kms (not miles) and it has basically been rebuilt a few times. New rings 3 times and new top & bottom bearings at least once. 20,000 miles is 32,180 kms and that is a ridiculous claim. The bikes are lovely and the fixings are superb but the engines just aren't up to much. If they applied their lovely building technique to a Honda GXH 50 they really would have bikes that would match their reliability claims but the Ht engine is wasted on those lovely bikes.

Back