I give up

Toby woodman

Local time
6:43 AM
I have had enough. having now been through three different engines in the span of about a month I am done. they have seized, the clutch has burned up, bearings have gone, seals have gone, I have broken 3 chains, how is it possible for someone to make such a crap product. the pistons seem to be made from the softest aluminium of my life. and the cylinders gouge and scratch after just a few minutes of riding. my latest engine overheats quite literally two minutes after starting it from cold. I knew two strokes were less reliable but this is ridiculous. how can anyone go anywhere on a bike engine kit?

I'm thinking about a Honda gx120 with a torque converter. I just don't understand how an engine can be such utter s**te

How much effort do you put into the engine when you receive it? Do you just install it and go, or do you take the time to go through it, clean out debris and swarf, and then run proper break in ratios? My very first MB engine worked for 7 years before I sold it off with the bike it was on. Probably rode it 1000 miles a year. Second engine was my first foray into porting, third even more so, etc. None of them ever failed that wasn't my direct fault (damaged plating). Even those gave me a thousand or two miles of service. I'm currently at about 700 miles on one of the least reliable engines that was being sold at the time (V2 Phantom 85).

What they all had in common - I went through all of the motors and cleaned them up. That debris they tend to leave in the engines can tear them up and cause all sorts of issues.

I put this kit on Risky's Ride with very little prep (My first build) and have ridden it over 300 miles with no problems at all. Speeds to 35 mph.

Not sure what your bad luck is.

I have had enough. having now been through three different engines in the span of about a month I am done. they have seized, the clutch has burned up, bearings have gone, seals have gone, I have broken 3 chains, how is it possible for someone to make such a crap product. the pistons seem to be made from the softest aluminium of my life. and the cylinders gouge and scratch after just a few minutes of riding. my latest engine overheats quite literally two minutes after starting it from cold. I knew two strokes were less reliable but this is ridiculous. how can anyone go anywhere on a bike engine kit?
Unfortunately this hobby/sport isn't for everyone, those with a mechanical aptitude can fair well and those whom know what they are doing don't really have issues, I have a few personal engines that have been in service since 07 and one 50cc from 04, setup is key to having these engines perform and last, Heat from improper jetting trying to eliminate four stroking in the lower ranges and when holding a fixed throttle position as the load is minimal is one of the big mistakes many make and causes all kinds of damage as you described, these are really cheap engines and the quality of components needs addressing if you intend to push it, otherwise you will just kill engines fast!
There is plenty of good info here on how to prep, setup and run these properly along with people willing to help you sort things out, whether it's a 2 stroke or a four stroke an engine is only going to perform as well as the users abilities to make it do so.

Just sounds like you have some really crappy luck with these engines. Since you have all the parts, order one of these, they are said to be high quality.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have been through and cleaned out the clutch and took the jug and cylinder head off all of my new engines, the gears were greased and I always rode at least 70 or 80 miles before opening up to full throttle using break in. mix of 16:1. I can weld and Am a blacksmith. I own many tractors and other pieces of machinery as well as many chainsaws, trimmers, leaf blowers etc. I just don't understand how they break so easily.

I have been through and cleaned out the clutch and took the jug and cylinder head off all of my new engines, the gears were greased and I always rode at least 70 or 80 miles before opening up to full throttle using break in. mix of 16:1. I can weld and Am a blacksmith. I own many tractors and other pieces of machinery as well as many chainsaws, trimmers, leaf blowers etc. I just don't understand how they break so easily.
But did you also clean out the crankcase? At a minimum flush it out with mineral spirits. I have yet to get an engine that didn't have a ton of metal shavings inside and stuck to the crankcase, crankshaft, and bearings.

Being able to weld and blacksmith, while awesome, doesn't mean you are infallible. I am a literal mechanic (also electrical, hydraulics, etc) and I still miss stuff or make mistakes.

I am not trying to accuse you of incompetence, so please don't take it that way. Not knowing isn't the same as not caring, and my entire goal is to maybe help identify an area that can be improved. Nothing more.

But did you also clean out the crankcase? At a minimum flush it out with mineral spirits. I have yet to get an enginenthat didn't have a ton of metal shavings inside and stuck to the crankcase, crankshaft, and bearings.

Being able to weld and blacksmith, while awesome, doesn't mean you are infallible. I am a literal mechanic (also electrical, hydraulics, etc) and I still miss stuff or make mistakes.

I am not trying to accuse you of incompetence, so please don't take it that way. Not knowing isn't the same as not caring, and my entire goal is to maybe help identify an area that can be improved. Nothing more.
Shoot, everyone does that. I've been messing with cars and small engines for a few years now and I found there is always something new to learn.

Back