I have just pulled the trigger for the newest Phantom 85 V-3

They seem louder, but are under 95dB. It's just the nature of strong combustion. The pulses have more "pop" to them.My stihl saw unsurprisingly sounds exactly the same. Take the muffler off and learn how good of a job it does lol.
I believe it because man it has some serious power, but how about this, when I pop out the clutch as I’m pedaling it takes a second for the engine to engage. So basically I’m pedaling with the clutch disengaged and it takes a second or two before you feel the engine jerk to get going

I believe it because man it has some serious power, but how about this, when I pop out the clutch as I’m pedaling it takes a second for the engine to engage. So basically I’m pedaling with the clutch disengaged and it takes a second or two before you feel the engine jerk to get going
I had the same thing during breakin myself when it seemed a slight time delay before it roared to life...lol.

My clutch had a bunch of oil all over the plates and pads out of the box. That may be what you both fought with at first. I cleaned everything when I had it disassembled and changed pads immediately, so my first couple of starts were very stiff, especially after the rings started to really seat and my compression increased.

Also, if you are running the red pads it came with order some of the black and white style to replace them with. That will happen sooner than you think.

My clutch had a bunch of oil all over the plates and pads out of the box. That may be what you both fought with at first.
You should know me better than that by now Rocket...lol.

I always chuck out the red clay llike pads that come with these and replace them with the black and white type pads before I have even started it up for the first time...I can assure you that mine were clean and grease free right from the start...lol.

You should know me better than that by now Rocket...lol.

I always chuck out the red clay llike pads that come with these and replace them with the black and white type pads before I have even started it up for the first time...I can assure you that mine were clean and grease free right from the start...lol.
Did ya clean off both plates? People forget about the back one quite often.

The clutch pad thing wasn't advice for you. I know you know better

Did ya clean off both plates? People forget about the back one quite often.
Now what do you think since I'm already taking things apart to do my own QC check???...lol...Don't think for two seconds I am trusting their 12 year old QC "expert" employees, I know they get paid the unheard of big bucks of 2 dollars a day, (they must feel as rich as Elon Musk)...lol...but i'll always check it out for myself anyways...lol.

As I mentioned when I started this thread I will keep you informed on progress thus far.

Motor was delivered this afternoon...Everything was in the boxes that needed to be there so it was complete.

I was pleased when I examined everything...No metal filings or flakes found anywhere in the motor, no debris in the reed valve, the cylinder was independently wrapped in a cellophane shrink wrap, when examining the inside of the cylinder, all was absolutely smooth, no snags anywhere, in and out I found nothing that I needed to either file or grind, a real plus on these motors.

All the threading was drilled and threaded straight and proper, the cylinder studs were all straight and true as they should be as well.
The gaskets, cylinder, bottom end and studs all are in alignment with each other so should go together with zero problems when I decide to attach the piston to the wrist pin, needle bearing, and crank tomorrow.

I was also surprised to see that the rings were already on the pistons for me, all I got to do is compress them against the ring pins and push the assembly into the cylinder

At this point I then removed the magneto cover expecting to have to do a realignment of the magnets etc...To my surprise, it was not only tightened down properly, but also in perfect alignment already.

Next I removed the drive sprocket cover expecting things like the bucking bar and ball bearing as well as the clutch arm would all need to be greased up, Wrong Again, it was all lubed up properly so back on that cover went.

Now I remove the clutch cover knowing I am going to replace those lousy red clay clutch pads guaranteed to burn out to a nice toasty black in three days with a P-85...lol...There was no surprise here...crappy red clay clutch pads...I removed them, chucked them in the trash where they belong and replaced them with the black and white pads that I have bags full of just sitting here on hand...lol...The gears here had only a very small dab of grease and that dab was not even in between the gears themselves but just a small blob sitting on top of the small gear which obviously is useless there, so I did it my way with the white lithium grease and threw the clutch cover back on.

I have finished off what I am doing this evening with pre-lubing the bottom end with 2 stroke conventional oil and manually running the crank shaft assembly through it paces checking it for smooth operation etc...All appears quite well, tomorrow I will finish putting the motor all together...I might, or might not get it put on the bike tomorrow depending how I feel.
Does this engine sell with free shipping from time to time or was that a one time deal you got? I’m thinking about getting one but I would rather not pay the sixty some dollar shipping fee and I’m not in a big hurry to get it

Does this engine sell with free shipping from time to time or was that a one time deal you got? I’m thinking about getting one but I would rather not pay the sixty some dollar shipping fee and I’m not in a big hurry to get it
They do this periodically...I do NOT get any special deals or treatment from them...lol.

I had already posted that in my very first post of this thread.

I just went ahead and ordered the newest Phantom 85 V-3 from bicycle-engines.com, since they have just received a brand new inventory shipment of them from the manufacturer....Until the 15th of the month, there is free shipping on the P-85 V-3

Needless to say, I am taking advantage of the free shipping while it's the deal being offered this month...lol

Back