I need ideas for fitting a motor to my bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by yazansarsour, Dec 22, 2014.

1. yazansarsour

yazansarsour New Member

i'm new to this forum and to the whole idea of motorized bikes.
    I have this MTB
    IMG-20141222-WA0009.jpg IMG-20141222-WA0010.jpg
    I wanted to fit the 80cc motor kit, but it is obvious that it doesn't fit.
    correct me if i'm wrong!
    any ideas?
    what are my options?
    thanx in advance

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

It's true. You'll never get an internal combustion engine in that frame.

There are electric motors available where the motor itself is built into the wheel hub. That could fit. They're fairly popular. But they do have drawbacks.

You could also sell that bike and use the money to buy one with a more traditional frame. Then you could mount an 80 cc, 2 cycle engine.
    yazansarsour likes this.
  3. yazansarsour

yazansarsour New Member

I thought of this as well

thanx alot
  4. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

There are electric shift kits you could use also that can mount in front of the crank. KC has done that kind of set up on a few electric bikes.
  5. LR Jerry

Send pictures of your bike to David Staton and he could probably design you a rear rack. It would have to attach to the seat seat stays. Of courses that means your engine will be moving around. Other than that you could get solid forks and do a front friction drive setup. No real good options using gas. The biggest with an electric is where to put the battery.
  6. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Agreed. You need to go rack mount engine or electric with that backbone frame. If you go electric, some LiPo batteriest could be hung from the top tube. SLA bricks would have to go on the rear rack.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  7. LR Jerry

The only thing else you could do is attach a pusher.
  8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It's a shame that no one manufactures a replica GT LTS frame anymore.

That setup was perfect for a motorised application with rear suspension:

Purple Haze likes this.
  9. robbyheansen

robbyheansen New Member

10. professor

professor Active Member

Hey Fabian, that frame is nice but the engine would need the Sickbike shift kit for sure.
  11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

But you wouldn't think of motorising a bicycle with anything less than a SickbikeParts shift kit and disk brakes.
  12. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

That's what I would do, sell or trade that bike for something more motor friendly.

Soft tails (rear shock) bikes can be motorized but seldom direct drive, you have chain length issues as the back wheel goes up and down.
    A jackshaft fixes this by using the pedal side drive which is designed to keep chain length the same as the back wheel moves.

They can be done, you just want to use a bike with a rear shock behind the seat post.

Electric is nice too, they naturally hook to the pedal drive.

If you don't particularly care about a rear shock you have way more options.